Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to end up having both of these frames (lost mail, ended up buying a 2nd frame, then other one found).

I originally got the Mojo HDR because I wanted a burlier bike to replace my Mojo SL, but after reading reports about how well the Canfield Balance climbs, I figured that might be a better option for higher performance downhill without losing much on the uphill.

Thoughts?

Btw, I'll be using 26" wheels for now.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Balance is also very high on a short list of AM bikes. Love the tight stays, semi-internal routing, alloy frame, and what looks like a solid triangle (i.e. no links in the rear, can anyone confirm this?). What I'm not crazy about is the CC shock. My buddy has a CC (not the one spec'd on the Balance) and it pretty much sucks balls.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
The canfield achieves anti-squat figures similar to Evil bikes single-pivot designs, where there's a slight slope, but it's around 100% for most of the travel, meaning it should have fairly consistent pedaling while going uphill, on level, with different sag points, while the suspension is activating, etc. The Ibis takes this to a little higher degree, in terms of the travel before the sag point and dropping off after about 3/4 of the travel, but leverage ratio and other frame design aspects will make a bigger difference.

How crazy are you intending to get on the DH where the Ibis won't handle it?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How crazy are you intending to get on the DH where the Ibis won't handle it?
Not planning to get that crazy most of the time, but I can think of at least one trail I want to ride that was way steeper and rockier than a Mojo SL is meant for. The slacker head angle of the Balance would definitely help on that trail. There's one other downhill trail nearby that would also benefit from the slacker geometry that I won't attempt on my Mojo SL. I want to push myself to get better going downhill, but still plan on doing long rides.

Most of the riding will be stuff I did on my Mojo SL so either bike could handle it fine. Canfield Balance has the advantage that if I go to a bike park it will be more capable. Also, there's a 20-30% I'll move to Salt Lake City in about 5 months, in which case I might want to learn how to do a bit of freeriding.

I decided to just build up the HDR first since I haven't received the Canfield Balance so I'll compare the two. Another factor is I only weigh 150 pounds so that makes both bikes plenty stiff and strong for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I owned a Mojo HD and sold it to a good friend. I played around with different shocks on it to try to make it plusher. The HD climbed very well but never felt 100% confident going fast down chunky terrain. The in the bike feel wasn't there due to geometry. Rode it for 3 years and moved on.

Now the Balance is a whole different animal. It climbs better than most bikes out there. The suspension soaks up the square edge hits very well and doesn't hang up like the HD did. Descending on the Balance is Fantastic! The feeling of being part of the bike makes me very confident. Have done all day rides on it without feeling exhausted and beat up. Of course, its been to bike parks also. I have other bikes sitting in the garage, but the Balance goes out more often.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hey michael1, looks like you decided to sell your HDR. Keeping the Balance? Care to share your experience? We always like ride reports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts