Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever try or use the Cane Creek Zono wheels?........I know they aren't the lightest on te Market but they look like a really nice wheel....I was going to run the SS version on my Kona Unit 29er

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
I had a set of them for a short time. Never had any issues - stayed true - I just felt like I spent a lot for a 'box' wheel - I sold them and built up a custom set of wheels. My only worry about them was if I broke a spoke... not every bike shop carrys straight pull spokes.

Good wheels, great if you can get a deal on them

FF

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
huffyboy said:
Anyone here ever try or use the Cane Creek Zono wheels?........I know they aren't the lightest on te Market but they look like a really nice wheel....I was going to run the SS version on my Kona Unit 29er
i was initially concerned with the low spoke count...both being a 29er and myself being 220lb. peter at cane creek assured me and these wheels didnt disappoint. they ran true all summer, never geared - always converted and on a full rigid build.

someone fell for them on a demo ride at the end of the season and insisted on them...i folded and now i feel dirty.

the best 'factory' wheels i have owned, style points to boot.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
Chaffer said:
Hey NoGearsHere,

Do you deal with a lot of rock gardens?

What tires are you running with your Zono's?

They do look awfully nice.

m.
I ran an exi wolf on the front and a nano on the rear. rockgardens are here but not in any real volume. southern ontario is mostly rooted single track.

they were not built like any wheel i have had in the past, tension was very high and the lacing pattern was unique. i honestly did my best to ride these wheels hard - short of being malicious - i gave them a good once over.

i will be getting another set to run as a 1x8 next year.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks fo all the info guys.....I'm 180lbs and thought these might be a good single speed wheel to race on...They are a little heavier than other brands or custom builds but I wanted something that would hold up to the rigid bike and the roots and rocks of Michigan..

·
I just passed you
181 Posts
These things are robust! Just an FYI, the rim is a specially made/drilled Bontrager for Cane Creek. I've got a set on order and should ship this week. They actually spin up to speed very, very fast due to all the weight being at the hub.

Also, so there's no confusion... the SS version does NOT mean single speed and the TI version does NOT mean titanium spoked. SS is a butted stainless-spoked wheelset, while the TI is the Team Issue CX-Ray spoked set. Whew!

The cool part is that they called me and said they were holding my order until the new 3.5 hubs are available instead of dumping their older product. I've never had that happen before. Overly, overy cool!

I'll post a pic of the new hubs when they arrive in the next couple of weeks...

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
ferrousness said:
Also, so there's no confusion... the SS version does NOT mean single speed and the TI version does NOT mean titanium spoked. SS is a butted stainless-spoked wheelset, while the TI is the Team Issue CX-Ray spoked set. Whew!
Yep - I should have mentioned that also - I found that out the hard way...lol

FF

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ferrousness said:
These things are robust! Just an FYI, the rim is a specially made/drilled Bontrager for Cane Creek. I've got a set on order and should ship this week. They actually spin up to speed very, very fast due to all the weight being at the hub.

The cool part is that they called me and said they were holding my order until the new 3.5 hubs are available instead of dumping their older product. I've never had that happen before. Overly, overy cool!

I'll post a pic of the new hubs when they arrive in the next couple of weeks...
WOW!.....Good to know because I thought they made Single Speed specific wheels..Thus the SS badging on the 29er wheels.....I guess this changes eveything...Well for my SS anyway...Not for my geard bike build...

Please post up picks or tell me more about these 3.5 hubs for 2007...How are they different from the ones they used in 2006?.....I can't find any info on them....Thanks

·
I just passed you
181 Posts
Zonos crazy nights

From what I have dug up, the 3.5 hubset has an alloy cassette body and a re-design on the shell. That would bring them down to the ultralight category.

Also to note... I thought these were a typical "box" wheelset too until I did my homework and found that these have about the highest strength and spoke tension around. Also handbuilt in North Carolina.

I'm excited, can you tell?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I had a set of high end Cane Creek road wheels with titanium straight pull spokes. They were really fast wheels but were a little soft for my weight. However, they'd held up well and when I did finally break a spoke Cane Creek sent me some new spokes in just 2 days.

Since, that day I have always been a fan of Cane Creek and their products. On the rare occasion that I had a problem with a CC product it was quickly taken care of. In my opinion there is not another bike company that provides better customer service.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I will chime in here as well.

I have had a pair for about a year and run them on my single speed and have had no problems what so ever. I have not even had to true them once. I bike in all kinds of weather over here in the pacific NW. Hubs held up great. Plus you all are right they do look sexy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well.....I'm sold.....Strong....Sexy.....Reliable....Built here in good ol North Carolina and now even lightrer!....What more could you want?........As soon as the new ones come out I'm getting a set for my SS and more than likely my Geard bike if like them.....Now I just need to find out when the new model will be for sale...Thanks for all the help guys.....The easy part is over....Now the hard part...Waiting....I hate waiting...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Zonos Disc 29er

I have been riding these wheels on my rigid air 9 here in Dallas. The terrain varies from rooted single track to some rocky areas. I am currently running them with Nanos front and rear and haven't had any problems with at 215lbs. I will probably upgrade to the Weirwolf LT's to add a little cushion. They are strong and responsive though not the lightest. like the saying goes. . ."cheap, reliable, light, strong. . . pick two

They are also pretty cool looking as well.

I have also had great service from Cane Creek. In hindsight I would have upgraded to the Team Issue.

Clydesdales should be weight weenies unless you like carrying your bike

·
Registered
665 Posts
DaUsualSuspect said:
They are strong and responsive though not the lightest. like the saying goes. . ."cheap, reliable, light, strong. . . pick two

Speedgoat weighed them in the 1680s gram range - thats pretty dang light - lighter than a King/stans combo according to their wheelbuild page. I wonder if that weight is accurate though. Anyone weigh theirs???

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have been riding my CC road clincher at 130 mm in my 29,r for two years (not to many miles) although the wheels have 3 road seasons behind them as well. Cassette body,s and bearings used to be relative weaknesses. My cross wheels are CC tubulars thet are 7 years and 60 races old. Still going strong.
BTW How wide is the 29'r rim?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice to see some people are figuring out what a high quality product the high-end Cane Creek stuff is. I'm drooling over the Zonos Team Disc wheelset....CX-Rays here I come!

I'm also considering a Mavic Crossmax ST (replaced the Crossmax XL.) I weighed the front one this morning on the shop scale and without the skewar it was about 800g in 6 bolt version (Mavic website only lists Centerlock weights.) I talked to the Mavic rep and he said they improved on the XL by making the rim profile slightly wider...it now matches the 819 (which is a hair over 23mm on my digital mic,) slightly shorter spokes, stiffer rim, the cassette has a harder pawl material, etc.

Tough call...but I'd really like to try the CC's. I'm currently running 819s on Phil Woods...which are bombproof but quite heavy. Sorry to hijack your thread.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.