Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my Cane Creek wheels for 3+ years now and they have never given me trouble. The other night I was riding some forest singletrack and hopped over a fallen log and kind of smacked the rear wheel, no big deal, pulled over on the trail, gave the wheel a spin, sure enough, out of true (no big surprise). So I backed the brakes off the rim a ways and finished the ride. Last night I took the tire and tube off and looked at the rim and discovered that not only was the wheel out of true, it was dented on the rim-wall, not good. I had my girlfriend take it to the bike shop this morning and the mechanic discovered that my wheel was toast; not only was the wheel out of true, the rim dented, but a spoke had pulled out and cracked the rim where the nipple normally would be on a non Cane Creek wheel. Well at least it didn't self destruct on the rest of the ride :cool:

I've never really seen this kind of thing happen with a wheel before and I'm wondering what to do. Could I warranty this kind of thing? I know Cane Creek warranties parts and wheels for 1 year, but after that you can send in your wheel (according to their website) and they can rebuild it for you. Anyone have any experience with Cane Creek with this kind of issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
ryman said:
So I've had my Cane Creek wheels for 3+ years now and they have never given me trouble. The other night I was riding some forest singletrack and hopped over a fallen log and kind of smacked the rear wheel, no big deal, pulled over on the trail, gave the wheel a spin, sure enough, out of true (no big surprise). So I backed the brakes off the rim a ways and finished the ride. Last night I took the tire and tube off and looked at the rim and discovered that not only was the wheel out of true, it was dented on the rim-wall, not good. I had my girlfriend take it to the bike shop this morning and the mechanic discovered that my wheel was toast; not only was the wheel out of true, the rim dented, but a spoke had pulled out and cracked the rim where the nipple normally would be on a non Cane Creek wheel. Well at least it didn't self destruct on the rest of the ride :cool:

I've never really seen this kind of thing happen with a wheel before and I'm wondering what to do. Could I warranty this kind of thing? I know Cane Creek warranties parts and wheels for 1 year, but after that you can send in your wheel (according to their website) and they can rebuild it for you. Anyone have any experience with Cane Creek with this kind of issue?

Thanks
I' have had cane creek rebuild my wheels before. Call them, They will quote you a price and issue an RMA#. Send it in, and in a reasonable amount of time you will get a virtually new wheel.

It isn't cheap though. Which is one of the downsides of boutique wheels like Cane Creeks, but you have to do it so rarely with the WAMs that it might not be an issue. They are nice people, and they will probably upgrade the rim on it to whatever they are using for this model year.

·
mtnjam
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good news

well, called Cane Creek and they are going to rebuild my wheel for $140, not too bad
Great customer service

1 - 3 of 3 Posts