Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had problems with headsets seizing on sl's?

Im in the uk, been very wet and muddy over here as normal. Done about 50 miles total and my bottom headset bearing practically seized solid, rusted and muddy. Never had a problem with headsets on any of my other bikes that suffer the same conditions, any one have similar probs?

·
flow where ever you go
1,528 Posts
You've been lucky or I've been unlucky. I've always had trouble with anything less than a CK or Solos headset. You want a Solos or 110-is for the Mojo. They have perfect fit, high quality stainless steel, seal well... should give years of trouble free use.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Bearings

The bearings in the lower model Cane Creek IS headsets are made out of a very rust prone metal. My IS-2 that came on the Mojo had problems with the lower bearing geeting very rusty. I live in Australia and we are in drought and I only wash the bike with a damp cloth. So in the UK you would have real problems. The solution is to buy stainless steel bearings or if you are cheap like me just cover the outside of the bearings with heaps of grease before you install them. I think you can even get special waterproofing grease that would probably be even better.

·
DWlink Fanboy
201 Posts
how is the grease working?

d3toid said:
The bearings in the lower model Cane Creek IS headsets are made out of a very rust prone metal. My IS-2 that came on the Mojo had problems with the lower bearing geeting very rusty. I live in Australia and we are in drought and I only wash the bike with a damp cloth. So in the UK you would have real problems. The solution is to buy stainless steel bearings or if you are cheap like me just cover the outside of the bearings with heaps of grease before you install them. I think you can even get special waterproofing grease that would probably be even better.
d3toid - how is the grease working? I just pulled apart my headset to perform the semibath maintenance on my Manitou Minute MRD, and I was startled at how much rush and gunk had blown into the frame and headset after just 3 months of riding (about 2 weeks of which were "dormant bike" due to travel and snow days).

I ended up coating lower assembly especially with loads of waterproof grease, in the hopes this will stave off an unnecessary investment in a blue anodized IS 110, which would bring me to an ugly 7 mismatched blue anodized parts on the bike. :madman:

Albert

·
Registered
333 Posts
Grease it up

My new headset bearings are holding up vey well. There has actually been quite a bit of rain down here latley. I have had to hose my bike of after the last 3 rides due to the bike being covered in mud and the headset is still in good shape. Although dirt seems to still be getting into the frame some how, bur the grease ion the outside of the bearing s stops it. I've tried a numbeber of things to stop dirt getting at the bearings, including tapeing up the the top of the seatpost and sealing around the seatpost clamp with tape, but I still find 1-2mm grains of sand stuck to the grease around my lower headset bearing...

·
Registered
598 Posts
The CC IS8 headset should have stainless bearings, just like the solos and 110, so that's pretty strange that your bearing seized up so quickly. I wonder if there was some sort of defect with the bearing. If it was all rusted inside you might have a case to contact Cane Creek for a possible warranty. I'd do some more checking. I have an IS8 and I bought it specifically to get the stainless bearings, and have had absolutely no issues with the headset in almost 2 years.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
mtbnj said:
All my bikes have King headsets and I have never had issues with any of mine. Is it okay to install Kings on the CF Mojos?

thx-
Unfortunately, no. The CF Mojos only accept Integrated System (IS) headsets, which Chris King does not make. The Cane Creek IS-110 headsets are reputed to be of comparable quality to the CK headsets, however, and boast a 110 year warranty.

·
Registered
243 Posts
mtb143 said:
Unfortunately, no. The CF Mojos only accept Integrated System (IS) headsets, which Chris King does not make. The Cane Creek IS-110 headsets are reputed to be of comparable quality to the CK headsets, however, and boast a 110 year warranty.
Thanks for the info. appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have had problems with my std s8 headset. Having said that I have the very cheapest Cane Creek in at the moment (until I get around to fitting the 110 thats sitting in the shop) and it has been absolutely fine. 3mnths in the very worst of Scottish.

You've been unlucky but bearings are not too dear for the s8/ IS8

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.