Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
quote circuitsports
"Alloys of Titanium and Aluminum have vastly different properties and are not comparable, however Titanium is not lighter than steel"
Ti and steel bolts in the exact same size.
You may want to have your Uncle check the calibration of your weigh scale.

Attachments

·
Registered
710 Posts
Can't share quite yet. Next prototype should be ready mid Jan. Suffice it to say, there's nothing quite like this on the MTB scene. Sorry for the suspense...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wouldn't say additive or evolutionary in this case. Much more revolutionary - with a twist.
Can you offer any more info on when these cranks might become available for purchase? I’m currently awaiting a set of eeWings Ravens in 165 mm, but the latest delivery estimate is Feb 2021, so if these cranks are indeed a step above everything else on the market and would become available ahead of summer 2021 I could be tempted to cancel my eeWings...

Happy to discuss further via PM if more appropriate!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Does anybody have a working code for a 20% deal on a set of eewings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
West Chester, PA
4,930 Posts
Is the cane creek bottom bracket the lowest cost option for running these on a 73mm threaded frame? I know... Why be cheap when buying $1000 cranks. But I'm used to $30 sram and shimano BBs

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Is the cane creek bottom bracket the lowest cost option for running these on a 73mm threaded frame? I know... Why be cheap when buying $1000 cranks. But I'm used to $30 sram and shimano BBs
Just Google to find the best price on the BB you need.
That said, you'd probably gain more performance with a high end BB than the Eewing, jmo.
I utilize Hawk BBs because they have the performance of a high end ceramic BB, at about 1/3 the $. But a Hawk still costs way more than $30.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Talking about high end bb, was the neo discontinued? Seems to be out of stock for wuite some time now

·
Registered
641 Posts
I wouldn't say additive or evolutionary in this case. Much more revolutionary - with a twist.
Noticed that Kingdom Bikes are teasing a titanium crank made through additive manufacturing, are these the ones you had knowledge of?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Talking about high end bb, was the neo discontinued? Seems to be out of stock for wuite some time now

Yeah it looks like neo has been discontinued, a shame as they were known good brand bearings.
As for bb, the eewings are 30mm spindle so any bb made for that should work.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Noticed that Kingdom Bikes are teasing a titanium crank made through additive manufacturing, are these the ones you had knowledge of?
Nope. And sorry I’ve been a tease here. The manufacturer moved to a new location which set production back a bit. Stay tuned - these are cool.

·
No known cure
4,072 Posts
Alloys of Titanium and Aluminum have vastly different properties and are not comparable, however Titanium is not lighter than steel, its often stiffer allowing the use of less material which results in lower weight - however there are major drawbacks - all metals fatigue and titanium fatigues roughly 60% faster than stainless steel where its used to save weight.

A great example is motorcycle exhausts - if you buy a stainless steel exhaust its expected to last 5 years, Titanium exhausts are expected to last 2 years.

While cranks wont suffer the same heat cycles they will suffer vibration, abrasion and numerous weight cycles as you load and unload them.

I would stick to modern Aluminum cranks as they are usually just as light and have a lower replacement cost - also its easier through modeling to make the design superior.
My experience manufacturing joint replacements in stainless, cobalt chromium and 6AL/4V and being in on 5000+ cases (surgeries) says different.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
It's worth noting here that the threads for the preload adjustment broke loose from the crank spindle on my Eewing cranks about 10 days ago, and I sent a service request into Cane Creek with photos, and I've had no response as of yet.
That's disappointing.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
It's worth noting here that the threads for the preload adjustment broke loose from the crank spindle on my Eewing cranks about 10 days ago, and I sent a service request into Cane Creek with photos, and I've had no response as of yet.
That's disappointing.

Photos you can share? This may have happened to mine too.

I found that the preload ring had seized to the threaded ring. I was able to take it complete apart,clean and reassemble. That worked. The gold threaded portion, when screwed, pushes against the end of the spindle and creates the pressure. At least that is the way I interpreted the way it works.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've crazy glued it back in place 2x. Very technical repair I know!

Are we sure that it was fixed to begin with? In my case, the gold part rests up against the inside crank and the black portion rotated towards the bottom bracket.

See below. Super glue not needed on eewings.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I see that the eeWings All-Road cranks have a narrower Q-factor vs the eeWings mountain, and is designed for BSA68 rather than BSA73.

Does this mean that if I have an older mtb frame with 68mm BB shell, I should use the All-Road cranks rather than the mountain?

101 - 120 of 126 Posts