Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
On EDIT: Okay, just read the above posts and someone is trying to use mont a GXP rotor incorrectly.

Previous post: Honestly I have no idea what the issue is that you are having.

GXP Chainrings can only go on one way correctly and the eeWings copy exactly SRAM's clocking. It's correct for any oval chainring, unless by chance they machined a batch backwards or something, in which case you have an obvious warranty claim.

If you are trying to mount a chainring in the incorrect position, that's not their problem.

I happen to think the eeWings are a good value. They are 100% reliable, they are light, they are rigid, they look great, they have great ground clearance below the pedal spindle. Would buy again just to avoid ever having a ride ruined (again) by CF cranks. Hopefully I can move them to every bike I own from here on out.

This is one of the few WW products that is all upside, with no downside except cost.
Agree with all the positives you mention Suns, but you forgot to mention the other downside beside cost - the Clydesdale Q-factor. That is the main reason I won't run them.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts

I happen to think the eeWings are a good value. They are 100% reliable, they are light, they are rigid, they look great, they have great ground clearance below the pedal spindle. Would buy again just to avoid ever having a ride ruined (again) by CF cranks. Hopefully I can move them to every bike I own from here on out.

This is one of the few WW products that is all upside, with no downside except cost.
What exactly are you comparing them against? If it's Next SL, well yeah, anything is better than that, even a punch in the face. SRAM carbon has been extremely reliable for me, so much so that I've changed out two Next cranksets and bought a third SRAM. It's just in another league, and as far as value, you can often get XX1 and X01 for 200-300, making it a winner IMO. 100% reliable is quite the claim, almost everything is at first, and maybe they end up being very reliable, but these aren't the only reliable cranks on the planet either. I will pay for products that are worth it, but these far exceed the "worth it" criteria for me.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I broke XX1 cranks. It ruined a local group ride with visiting friends but it also could have caused injury or interrupted a bike vacation.
When I built my last bike and chose the components and tools that are attached to it, I made a list of all the failures plus the number of times I had those failure that I had experienced in my 4 years of riding up to that point. Then bought products and tools that would have prevented or fixed those particular issues.
Of course I'm certified WW so I always keep an eye towards weight as well.
Eewings hit all the marks for me and fortunately the cost for me was a low priority.
But I only save weight where I can which is why I run wheel inserts front and rear, a DH layup rear rim, Avy cartridges, etc... Performance always comes first.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
710 Posts
On EDIT: Okay, just read the above posts and someone is trying to use mont a GXP rotor incorrectly.

Previous post: Honestly I have no idea what the issue is that you are having.

GXP Chainrings can only go on one way correctly and the eeWings copy exactly SRAM's clocking. It's correct for any oval chainring...

If you are trying to mount a chainring in the incorrect position, that's not their problem.

When you say “use mont a GXP rotor incorrectly,” I’ll assume you meant to say “use/mount a GXP chainring incorrectly.”

Assuming that’s the case, the answer is no. To your point, they only mount one way. And in the case of the eeWings, they mount 180 degrees “upside down” from the way they mount on a SRAM DM crankset. Most of the time the only issue might be covering up some branding/logo on the chainring (which will end up behind the crankarm). Big deal.

The bigger deal for me was:

1) unlike RF cinch, you can’t flip a ring to achieve opposite offset for different chain lines. Flipping round cinch rings works great, but honestly I have no idea what it would do to oval ring clicking. I never tried, and never would.

2) to rectify my bike’s need for a +3 - +4 mm positive offset (not the typical -3mm boost or -6mm traditional chainline), I ordered and installed a Wolftooth CAMO spider SRAM DM. This:

And it does not work with the eeWings. Because Cane Creek opted to make their SRAM DM bolt pattern 180 degrees opposite the way SRAM aligns theirs (ostensibly “the standard...?”) One of the CAMO ring bolts is behind the crankarm and causes the spider to bend. Which causes the chain to come off of your singlespeed when putting down power. Which causes your knee to slam into your stem. Ask me how I know.

I wish the eeWings had worked for me. I’d still be running them. Albeit, still being annoyed with the copper antisieze mess.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I did compare my Eewings to my wife's GX cranks and right you are, the Eewings have rotated the mounting exactly 180 degrees different than standard pattern. It never effected me so I never noticed.
Bummer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
change is good
3,113 Posts
If it's Next SL, well yeah, anything is better than that, even a punch in the face.
Funny

I was so pissed at my creaking 6 month old warrantied SixC cranks, I pitched them in the trash.

The EEwings look awesome, but because of my mediocrity and the fact that Shimano and SRAM cranks are basically worry free, I have passed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
475 Posts
When do these sales typically take place? Someone else mentioned Black Friday... what about the other one?
They just had a big sale recently on Helm forks. I deleted the email unfortunately. It was February or March? Time is fluid with the stay at home order and I'm losing track.

They have a mailing list, sign-up for it, that is how I find out.

If you buy direct from them, you'll get a little coupon to remind you to register your product and you'll get sent a code for a discount for your next purchase. I saved buckets on my eeWings and Helm that way. Was going to buy a Lyrik, but couldn't resist that deal.

My preloader wore out and I was getting play in my cranks, so ordered a new one that should do the trick. Support also mentioned to use loctite 638 on the brass (cooper? gold ano?) part of it (not the threads!) to further secure the ring.

·
Registered
55 Posts
There seems to be so much hate for Next SLs here - I have had zero issues on my G4s. They are on my second bike now and have covered ~ 9,000 miles since 2014 (did I really just write 2014? Hard to believe). No creaks, no loseness, and still, basically, the lightest things in town. I swap chainrings quite often and have had them apart for cleaning, oh, 50 times?

Anyway, that's not why I came here. I cam here to say those EE Wings are absolutely gorgeous!!! They will be first on my list when (if?) my SLs kick the bucket.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
There seems to be so much hate for Next SLs here - I have had zero issues on my G4s. They are on my second bike now and have covered ~ 9,000 miles since 2014 (did I really just write 2014? Hard to believe). No creaks, no loseness, and still, basically, the lightest things in town. I swap chainrings quite often and have had them apart for cleaning, oh, 50 times?

Anyway, that's not why I came here. I cam here to say those EE Wings are absolutely gorgeous!!! They will be first on my list when (if?) my SLs kick the bucket.
You'll think your cleats are loose or your cranks are wobbling. It'll be the pedal insert cracked. Just keep an good eye on both sides of the pedal insert, that'll let you know if you have any problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has found a set of crank boots that fits the Eewings?
Know its blasphemy to cover these up, but want to minimise dents/scratches from pedal strikes haha

Cheers!

·
Orange Bikes USA Dealer
1,366 Posts
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has found a set of crank boots that fits the Eewings?
Know its blasphemy to cover these up, but want to minimise dents/scratches from pedal strikes haha

Cheers!
They can dent, but its pretty hard to do.

And scratches? Who cares. Ride them and enjoy them.

People need to worry less about scratching their "mountain" bikes.

Reactions: Wheelspeed

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts

Given the lower BBs of today's bikes and how much more frequent this kind of contact is, it makes a lot of sense to me. The Ti is likely pretty thin and more susceptible to denting and something to dissipate a little energy seems like a good idea. The boots I have and have used always seem to soft at first, but with exposure to the elements they turn "hard", which is good for said resistance.

·
Registered
854 Posts

That's half the reason I spent my stimulus check on these! Bang em up, give em some personality! It'd be pretty damn cool to make a night vid throwing some sparks from some rock strikes, LOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys and Gals - new to the forum ..living out in Oman , from Scotland - enjoying my bike - thats all i need to say really - looks a good and informative place to be so far !!

61 - 80 of 126 Posts