Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pics of the Uzzi with the Cane Creek Double Barrel (CCDB). I have posted some comments in the "Let's talk about Suspension" forum already, but I will say that if you think the Uzzi is great with the Fox, then you should try this shock. It rocks. More reviews to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Wow, that shock (and bike) is really cool.

Basically why did you get a 6.6? If you put the CCDB on your 6.6 it will endup close to 9 pounds and your Uzzi is probably not much over 9 also. With the same fork on both, is the geometry much different between them?

Looking forward to your comments on how they ride...

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
That 9 pound Uzzi claimed weight is off. My small VPX with a 5th Element shock weighed 10.1 pounds, by the time I added the DHX coil shock and the propper spring it was close to 10.5 pounds. One of my freinds weighed his med VPX and it was close to 10 1/2 pounds. Which really isnt bad considering what the bike is built for, big hit and fast descending. My bike fully built weighed about 36 pounds, the other VPX is hitting 45 pounds with a DC Shiver and heavy wheels.

Forgot to add that when I weighed my frame i had the e-thirteen reducers and headset bearings, so that added a few onces to the overall weight.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drumstix said:
That 9 pound Uzzi claimed weight is off. My small VPX with a 5th Element shock weighed 10.1 pounds, by the time I added the DHX coil shock and the propper spring it was close to 10.5 pounds. One of my freinds weighed his med VPX and it was close to 10 1/2 pounds. Which really isnt bad considering what the bike is built for, big hit and fast descending. My bike fully built weighed about 36 pounds, the other VPX is hitting 45 pounds with a DC Shiver and heavy wheels.
You got it DS, my Uzzi frame with shock only weighs in at 10.4 lbs. The shock going on my 6.6 is a Z1 light. I may change it to a 66SL, just depends on the geometry and if it feels to steep with just 150mm's of travel. My 6.6 is going to be my primary aggro trail bike. the Uzzi will be more TR/FR/DH type. I am getting a 888RC2X to throw on when the trails get sketchy. Like a Windrock type course. Anyway. We'll see. If the two bikes are too close together then whichever one fits the bill best for that type of riding will stay and I'll sale it and get something else. I really don't think I am going to want to let go of either though. Stay Tuned!!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
aappling72 said:
I may change it to a 66SL, just depends on the geometry and if it feels to steep with just 150mm's of travel.
haha! I got you thinking about it didn't I?

I'm off to Huntsvegas - have fun putting that thing together.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peachy-B said:
wow. nice. and the shock is mounted reversed of how our DHX are mounted. good call.
The only reason I did that was because it was easier to get to the adjustments on the CCDB with a small screwdriver mounted that way vs. the traditional way. but, when I put it on that way, I thought it looked pretty cool.

·
Homer's problem child
1,320 Posts
Go Kart Motzart said:
I am sure the CC is a good shock, but I'm curious as to why you would choose it over Fox or 5th which are proven winners with years of expertise in their fields. Just curious.

By the way, great looking bike. The new Marz graphics are nice too.
My understanding is that is a Ohlins with a cane creek logo. They been making winners for longer than Fox and 5th. Just not for bikes.

B

·
Registered
172 Posts
Would you adopt me???

Wow...did you win the lotto or something...you have every toy I've ever wanted...and you have them all at once....I have to scratch and scrimp to get one bike at a time.
I'll stop being jealous...sweet bike and can't wait to see the finished 6.6

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why CCDB??

Go Kart Motzart said:
I am sure the CC is a good shock, but I'm curious as to why you would choose it over Fox or 5th which are proven winners with years of expertise in their fields. Just curious.

By the way, great looking bike. The new Marz graphics are nice too.
You obviously must not be familiar with Ohlins reputation in the High End racing scene within various motorsports. Check out their website at http://www.ohlins.com The shock the CCDB is based upon is their brand new TTX40 which is revolutionizing the Formula one circuit as well as the Off Road BAJA truck and car racing scene. WIth all the independent adjustments, there is no need for and SPV or an overly damped shock to help with pedal stroke. You can dial in the shock to adapt to varying terrains with just a few simple adjustments. The same trail can have stutter bumps that you can tune the rear end to stick with a faster rebound and less low speed compression, all the while without even having to get off the bike and slow down that rebound for that big drop or jump. The High speed compression and rebound will handle that and then release the smaller duties back to the Low speed adjustment. Truly amazing how it works. You can trust that Ohlins has proven their reputation and they have partnered with Cane Creek since they are practically next door to each other in NC, in order to produce a shock for the MTB crowd that will change the way riders tune suspension. Get one and you will see.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Hey bro, can you post some ride reports even if they are brief, and somewhat (even though different bikes) compare it to your VPX. The reason is only because I have spent some time on the VPX so I will kinda know what your talking about, descending, how the 6.6 handles rough ground, rocks and ruts and such.

Thanks, should have mine in several weeks.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
drumstix said:
Hey bro, can you post some ride reports even if they are brief, and somewhat (even though different bikes) compare it to your VPX. The reason is only because I have spent some time on the VPX so I will kinda know what your talking about, descending, how the 6.6 handles rough ground, rocks and ruts and such.

Thanks, should have mine in several weeks.
Which bikes were you wanting a review of? 6.6 Nomad, 6 pack and Uzzi? If so, can do. Let me know specifically which ones. Coll man!

·
on a routine expedition
1,585 Posts
aappling72 said:
Here are the pics of the Uzzi with the Cane Creek Double Barrel (CCDB). I have posted some comments in the "Let's talk about Suspension" forum already, but I will say that if you think the Uzzi is great with the Fox, then you should try this shock. It rocks. More reviews to come.
What!? No Ti spring? You're slippin' man!:p

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
aappling72 said:
Which bikes were you wanting a review of? 6.6 Nomad, 6 pack and Uzzi? If so, can do. Let me know specifically which ones. Coll man!
Actually just the new 6.6. I road a 6 Pack and a VPX most of this last year, sold them both to get the new 6.6. I loved the VPX it was just a bit over kill for my old bones. So basicly Im just looking for your views on the new 6.6 being that I already know the ride of the other two and since you have some good time on the same bikes I should be able to relate to your imput.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.