Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Cane Creek Double Barrel to go on my Intense Uzzi. I have ridden avalanche for a while now, but this thing truly is amazing. It is so supple, but at the same time handles the high impact like butter. It really is incredible. After adjusting with the low speed compression and low speed rebound, I was able to find a spot where small bump sensitivity was off the charts and still the bike pedalled like a 3" travel rig. I really am convinced that this shock will improve the handling of any bike. I will post some pics and follow commentary after some more ride time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
What is the cost of this shock like in comparison to say the Fox DHX coil.
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kerry said:
What is the cost of this shock like in comparison to say the Fox DHX coil.
Yeah, SSINGA is right. The CC Double Barrel with Steel Spring is $650, add Ti and it hits $850. It is a GREAT shock though, and I like it so much I think I am going to put one on my new Intense 6.6.

If you want, IMHO, the best performing rear shock, get the Cane Creek. It has made my MArzocchi forks not feel as supple, which isa hard thing to do. Amazing shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
aappling72 said:
Yeah, SSINGA is right. The CC Double Barrel with Steel Spring is $650, add Ti and it hits $850. It is a GREAT shock though, and I like it so much I think I am going to put one on my new Intense 6.6.

If you want, IMHO, the best performing rear shock, get the Cane Creek. It has made my MArzocchi forks not feel as supple, which isa hard thing to do. Amazing shock.
Well you are the ultimate. When do you try out the Rocco? You would probably be the only MTBR person to have gone through all the shocks that exist! haha Tscheezy has met his match, you actually buy more stuff then him.

Ho, and please don't take my comment negatively, I really love it, you give us some great feedback on all these nice parts that we "mere riders" can't ever test before buying.

Thanks, can't wait for your detailed review of the Double Barrel. I kind of knew this shock must be good but nobody was talking about it.
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BanzaiRider said:
Well you are the ultimate. When do you try out the Rocco? You would probably be the only MTBR person to have gone through all the shocks that exist! haha Tscheezy has met his match, you actually buy more stuff then him.

Ho, and please don't take my comment negatively, I really love it, you give us some great feedback on all these nice parts that we "mere riders" can't ever test before buying.

Thanks, can't wait for your detailed review of the Double Barrel. I kind of knew this shock must be good but nobody was talking about it.
That's funny. I know, I know, I know! UGI is a horrible thing. It is about to slow down as soon as I build up this 6.6 though. Anywhoo! I definitely don't think I have the knowledge Tscheezy has in regards to suspension. I just know what feels good in comparison to what I have ridden. I guess I can give a decent technical description, but nowhere near as in depth as Tscheezy. But, when I am able to log a few more hours and settings with the Cane Creek I will post some pics and review it for ya. Anyone that gets one will be raving. I can promise you that.
 

·
Giant STP 06
Joined
·
575 Posts
I'm choosing between the double barrel and the pushd dhx...its going to be very hard to decide :(

can some one please test both? :D
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
KonaStinky05 said:
I'm choosing between the double barrel and the pushd dhx...its going to be very hard to decide :(

can some one please test both? :D
Sure, I will.

Send me one of each in a 7.5x2 and I will let you know which I like best:D
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
KonaStinky05 said:
I'm choosing between the double barrel and the pushd dhx...its going to be very hard to decide :(

can some one please test both? :D
I've not ridden a Pushed DHX, but the two shocks are entirely different. One is a traditional damper and the other is a twin tube design with separate high & low speed rebound and high & low speed compression. 2 different designs and as far as I can tell having ridden a great shock in the Avalanche that would be very similiar to a Pushed DHX, the CC Double Barrel is a much finer performing shock. Just my 2 cents
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
tscheezy said:
I'm in rehab: buying road bikes for Barny. ;)
Oh, yeah... road bikes are the perfect cure to UGI... until your start watching at Pinarellos, Colnagos, Campy's... not to mention the pedals
:D

If you tought a CC DB is expensive, wait until you get the pricing for a nice road bike carbon fork... anybody said ceramic bearing wheels??? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
Trond said:
What's the weight of the shock?
aappling72, if you don't mind adding this to the multiple requests you are going to get for the Double Barrel...!

Would be nice enough to take some measurement on the reservoir? I've had a discussion a few days ago on fit of coil shocks to my frame. Unfortunately, from the measurement taken by TNC, it looks like the reservoir on the Rocco and 5th would hit my down tube when compressing. For the DHX, it would be really tight but might work by taking off the air valve cap and propedal adjuster. The Double Barrel reservoir seems pretty big but the pictures I've seen of it show that it might be a bit less long then the Rocco or 5th, I don't know.

If you are interested, check the measurements we took in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147551

Thanks and don't worry if you don't feel like wasting your time on measuring the shock, I will be very happy just to read your ride report!

Cheers.
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BanzaiRider said:
aappling72, if you don't mind adding this to the multiple requests you are going to get for the Double Barrel...!

Would be nice enough to take some measurement on the reservoir? I've had a discussion a few days ago on fit of coil shocks to my frame. Unfortunately, from the measurement taken by TNC, it looks like the reservoir on the Rocco and 5th would hit my down tube when compressing. For the DHX, it would be really tight but might work by taking off the air valve cap and propedal adjuster. The Double Barrel reservoir seems pretty big but the pictures I've seen of it show that it might be a bit less long then the Rocco or 5th, I don't know.

If you are interested, check the measurements we took in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=147551

Thanks and don't worry if you don't feel like wasting your time on measuring the shock, I will be very happy just to read your ride report!

Cheers.
I don't mind. But I did read your funny comment about my buying habits. I represent that remark. ;) So, when I get home either tonight or tomorrow I will take some measurements for ya! Putting the DHX side by side with the CC looks very similiar though so it will be close IF it fits.

In regards to the Avy. I absolutely loved the Avy on my VP Free and DEMO 9. It transformed both of those bikes significantly. That's how I knew the 6 pack frame wasn't right because I knew what the Avy was suppose to do to it. So, if you are hesitant about getting a shock that will fit and it can't be the CC Double Barrel, I would HIGHLY recommend the Avy Chubbie. It feels amazing on everything. Even though the pack didn't feel as plush to me with it, it still made it feel much better than DHX did. So, that's my take on that. Also, getting Ti is more of a bling on this short of a stroke shock. Your weight savings is not that much on a 2.0 stroke shock. If you go into 2.5 2.75, or 3.0 then Ti will start to really be noticeable, but this short and in the middle of the bike, unless you are llike some guys on here that seem buy everything, (aka Appling72 LOL) will only be for bling. Hope this helps. I will take the measurements and get back to you though. Keep in mind the CC isn't cheap either. $650 steel and $850 Ti!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
aappling72 said:
I don't mind. But I did read your funny comment about my buying habits. I represent that remark. ;) So, when I get home either tonight or tomorrow I will take some measurements for ya! Putting the DHX side by side with the CC looks very similiar though so it will be close IF it fits.

In regards to the Avy. I absolutely loved the Avy on my VP Free and DEMO 9. It transformed both of those bikes significantly. That's how I knew the 6 pack frame wasn't right because I knew what the Avy was suppose to do to it. So, if you are hesitant about getting a shock that will fit and it can't be the CC Double Barrel, I would HIGHLY recommend the Avy Chubbie. It feels amazing on everything. Even though the pack didn't feel as plush to me with it, it still made it feel much better than DHX did. So, that's my take on that. Also, getting Ti is more of a bling on this short of a stroke shock. Your weight savings is not that much on a 2.0 stroke shock. If you go into 2.5 2.75, or 3.0 then Ti will start to really be noticeable, but this short and in the middle of the bike, unless you are llike some guys on here that seem buy everything, (aka Appling72 LOL) will only be for bling. Hope this helps. I will take the measurements and get back to you though. Keep in mind the CC isn't cheap either. $650 steel and $850 Ti!
Hey, you are a real gentlemen, I appreciate your patience with my nasty comments about your buying habits. :D :D :D

Yes, the Chubby would be at the top of my list however, I'm still hesitant because of the price which I also understand would be the same problem with the CC. I'm mostly curious about the CC dimensions to see if it is as big as the others. What is even more important to me is your comment about the pack and the following action of buying a VPP bike! My bike is similar to a pack and I'm lusting after one of the VPP as well, specially if I have to spend so much for a coil shock and not even be sure that I wont do the same as you in the end...

Thanks aapling72, I promise I will stop laughing at your buying habits from now on! ;)
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
aappling72 said:
unless you are llike some guys on here that seem buy everything, (aka Appling72 LOL) will only be for bling
This is why I dub thee "AapBLING72" :D

Hey, thanks for your comments on both the CCDB and the Avy... there is very little mention to both of them and I find your comments interesting.

What's next ?? An Avy/CCDB/DHX Coil shootout?? You have homeowrk to do! :cool:
 

·
not so super...
Joined
·
11,466 Posts
Warp2003 said:
This is why I dub thee "AapBLING72" :D

Hey, thanks for your comments on both the CCDB and the Avy... there is very little mention to both of them and I find your comments interesting.

What's next ?? An Avy/CCDB/DHX Coil shootout?? You have homeowrk to do! :cool:
hahahaha....appBLING72!!!

There will be no shock shootout until we get the fork shootout out of the way. :p
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
SSINGA said:
hahahaha....appBLING72!!!

There will be no shock shootout until we get the fork shootout out of the way. :p
Let's get Tscheezy and AapBLING72 to work... one end of the bike for each one.

Tscheezy has probably ridden more forks than any other mortal and Aapbling72 has more shocks than socks in his closet.

A full report is expected for X-Mas morning on these boards by 9:00 eastern time (I don't care where you're, guys!)
 

·
aka...appBLING72
Joined
·
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Warp2003 said:
Let's get Tscheezy and AapBLING72 to work... one end of the bike for each one.

Tscheezy has probably ridden more forks than any other mortal and Aapbling72 has more shocks than socks in his closet.

A full report is expected for X-Mas morning on these boards by 9:00 eastern time (I don't care where you're, guys!)
You guys are funny. I don't have the Avy Chubbie anymore, but I have enough ride time and experience on it to comment as for the DHX and CCDB, I have both of them right now for the same bike. So I can swap them out and see what feels right with the set ups for each. I can tell you this. The CCDB has an amazing ability to practically stick the rear tire to the ground on slow and high speed. Riding through baby head rocks and roots at Bull Mtn at varying speeds the rear end was just stuck to the ground. On high speed hits the high speed rebound and compression comes into play and smooths thoseout. It doesn't buck you like a normal shock. It actually sucks them up really well. Granted some of this is smoothness of rider as well, but it really does absorb the high speed impacts. Probably my favorite feature about the CCDB is the ability to independently adjust the low speed and high speed rebound. This to me is the amazing part about the shock. Normally you have to find a compromise between rebound setting to keeps from packing up on high speed bumps, but you don't want it to fast for when you hit that drop in the trail and there just isn't quite enough transition and the rebound is too fast and bucks you. Well, the CCDB has allowed me to speed up the low speed rebound to help the rear wheel track to the slow to medium speed & sized bumps, but to dial in a little slower rebound forthe high speed bigger impacts like bigger logs, drops, etc... This is truly one of the best performing shocks I've been on. None of three mentioned above are "bad" There are just some differences between them that really do make a difference in your ability to go faster. The CCDB, I think, once I get use to the Uzzi and this trusting this shock will help me be faster and smoother. Not to forget about the climbs, because wwe all have to get there too. Ask SSINGA who was climbing a 38lb Uzzi up Bull Mtn and usually in the front 3 of 6 riders. I'm not in that great of shape, but the Uzzi's VPP combined with the CCDB I believe is a winning combination. I would suffice to say that any bike and the CCDB is a good combination. But my review is mated to the VPP with this shock. When I get one on the 6.6 I will let you know how it does as well. I assume the 6.6 will ride similiar to the Uzzi. If so, then I may have found the perfect combination. I'll post some pics once I get it cleaned up from the rain and mudfestat Bull this weekend.
 
1 - 20 of 173 Posts
Top