Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tallboy LT coming and need a shock. I was originally going to go for a light, simple Float or something, but I hear these heftier shocks are worth it

I'm 180 pounds, live in a rocky, mountainous area, and in the summer I'll do rides of 20-50 miles at altitudes around 9000'. You get tired, so efficiency, reliability, weight and comfort are all important. I usually don't bother with pro pedal on my old bike.

I hear the CC is sweet, but also that it's heavy (509 g!) and requires a lot if lever flicking to pedal well. The RS is 325 grams and about $55 cheaper

Do they feel and pedal that different? Is the RS Monarch plus really that much better than the entry level $290 /225g monarch?

Any other suggestion, or does anybody know a good deal?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
You cannot make a bad decision here. The Monarch plus is more of a bruiser than the standard Monarch for sure. It's hard to say if it is 'worth it' because there are many variables to consider: weight, riding style, terrain and the like.

All three are good choices.

mk

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
I live in the CO Front Range and I run a M+ RC3. If you know the area...Dakota Ridge, Apex (before it was washed away), White Ranch, Deer Creek, etc...the you have a fair idea of what kind of places I stomp at. I've taken it up Commando Run and Kenosha/Georgia Pass too. Again, if you know these rides, then you know the lengths of these downhills and what the M+ is dealing w/.

That said, I'm upping it a bit by going coil on my daily rides and saving the M+ for longer higher rides.

Edit: oh, btw, same bike.

·
Mr. Knowitall
859 Posts
I had both, and the DBAir is by far more controlled. It all depends on the tune for the frame. I lacked some mid stroke support on the M+, but it was a different frame. You also may opt for the CS version DBAir. The pedalling is way better than any LSC only or pedal platform crap.

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah? Do you think that in CS mode it pedals better than, say, a Fox Float CTD while still riding as well or better?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had both, and the DBAir is by far more controlled. It all depends on the tune for the frame. I lacked some mid stroke support on the M+, but it was a different frame. You also may opt for the CS version DBAir. The pedalling is way better than any LSC only or pedal platform crap.
^^^+1, I have both too. The 2014 M+ is great but the CCDB CS is just better.

Yeah? Do you think that in CS mode it pedals better than, say, a Fox Float CTD while still riding as well or better?
Just road my new CCDB CS, Fox Float CTD is not even in the same class. CCDB CS tons better. Hopefully CC has a base tune for your frame...makes it darn easy to set up.

Cheers,

·
Village Dirtbag
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really! That's good to know. You're the first person I've heard say it actually pedals better. Some have complained of a dull, unresponsive feeling.

No base tune for my frame yet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Overall performance is just better and when you activate the climb feature it effects the low speeds that significantly adds traction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts