Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to full suspension bikes.

I have an opportunity to buy a few years old Canyon Spectral AL 8.0 EX for a very reasonable price. It comes with Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock. I am not familiar with full suspension bikes and certainly not familiar with Cane Creek suspension. I've done some reading and I like what I have learned about the shock. I haven't found much info on how to rebuild/service the shock which worries me a bit. Do I have to send it to a bike shop every time?

If I need to replace the shock or if replacing it makes more sense, what would be good options? Or have bikes been built around certain shocks and replacing them will end up in poor performance?

Basically my question is, is the CC shock a good purchase and what my options are?

Thanks!

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
:\ ping of death
1,092 Posts
I am new to full suspension bikes.

I have an opportunity to buy a few years old Canyon Spectral AL 8.0 EX for a very reasonable price. It comes with Cane Creek DB Inline rear shock. I am not familiar with full suspension bikes and certainly not familiar with Cane Creek suspension. I've done some reading and I like what I have learned about the shock. I haven't found much info on how to rebuild/service the shock which worries me a bit. Do I have to send it to a bike shop every time?

If I need to replace the shock or if replacing it makes more sense, what would be good options? Or have bikes been built around certain shocks and replacing them will end up in poor performance?

Basically my question is, is the CC shock a good purchase and what my options are?

Thanks!

It really depends on the condition of the shock but as far as functionality goes, it has very good adjustability. I had the dbinline and now I have the db ir iL. Love the shock but hate the fact that you have to send it in for maintenance. I prefer to do my own maintenance. Good luck!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've ridden it few times now and I really like it. I have also so far done all maintenance myself so not too excited to take it to the shop later..

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
The Cane Creek DB Inline takes a lot of custom tools to service, so not just bike-shop level service but more like suspension service centre: http://instagr.am/p/BUN2W_4ljNA/
They also had issues with the air and oil seals not holding, they issued updated parts for this, but if you shock hasn't got them you'll likely have air in the oil and oil in the air: http://instagr.am/p/BWbT3H5lnJb/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.