Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the most insane experience ordering something as simple as shock mount hardware from cane creek. Ordered them over a week ago and decided to call them on Monday to see what was going on. They said they had run out of built ones so would put two together to send out. The fact that I had to call for them to even check on the status of my order and get the ball rolling is bad enough. Then I got a tracking info over a day ago but it has yet to be picked up by USPS and had to call them again so they would put it in the shipping bin.

I've had to call them for every part of the purchase process so they would move on to the next step. If the process is this damn hard for purchasing a tiny part I don't want to think what it will be if I have any issues with my new DBAir IL.

For comparison I ordered a DVO fork straight from them and it was in transit within 36 hours and they even did a travel change on it before it was shipped out. Sadly they do not make an XC shock or I'd have gotten that from them too.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I don't want to think what it will be if I have any issues with my new DBAir IL.
I think you mean WHEN you have an issue with your DBA-IL.
Personally, I never had a problem with Cane Creek's customer service, but anyone who owns one of their air shocks is likely to be in frequent contact. My DBA (non-IL, the supposedly more reliable one) made 3 trips to Cane Creek in the 2-year warranty period. I can't even bring myself to sell that POS because I'd feel bad taking money for it.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Northing but good experience with CS from Cane Creek despite the hassle of sending my DBA back several times. Each repair/rebuild was expedited. Converted that shock to an IL and have had 0 issues over several thousand miles. I've also ordered small parts and have had my calls answered or emails replied to.

Sometimes things fall through the cracks. But I feel better when I complain about it on the interwebs for sure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you mean WHEN you have an issue with your DBA-IL.
Personally, I never had a problem with Cane Creek's customer service, but anyone who owns one of their air shocks is likely to be in frequent contact. My DBA (non-IL, the supposedly more reliable one) made 3 trips to Cane Creek in the 2-year warranty period. I can't even bring myself to sell that POS because I'd feel bad taking money for it.
So you had a lot of issues with the redesigned new one with the fatter can?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
So you had a lot of issues with the redesigned new one with the fatter can?

Just to be clear the new quad seals took care of the issue on the gen 1 DBinline. The IL can followed just after that. It's a much improved shock. Too bad the early generation failures pretty much killed this shock because it's a good shock. I still have one on my Ibis Ripley LS and on wifey's HD3. It's not like there's anything else on the market that is profoundly better in performance and adjustability for the weight.

And try Fox's CS or Sram for that matter. You pretty much can't deal with either unless you go through a bike shop and/or you have an insider hookup.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with the cc because xc shocks in size 165x38 are rare and only rs, fox, and cc have one. Bike came with a monarch rl which is just crap. Decided to try out the cc because of all the adjustments it has plus the lockout remote which has more adjustability than your basic open/locked state.

Not much info out there these days on xc shocks in general.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I had a similar experience when ordering my coil IL, and a different order for a subsequent spring. It probably sat for 1-2 days longer before shipping. In the grand scheme of things still got both within 5 days. The world and my wheels are still turning.

Even in your case this hardly qualifies as "insane". Yes it's nice when bike companies can get it to you in light speed but this shouldn't be an Amazon prime like expectation. Look at how amazon achieves this and at what toll to their workers (before they are promptly fired for being 2 seconds over a 15 min break). At a small company like CC I'm totally fine with their employees having a life and not killing themselves over some mounting hardware.

Relax and enjoy the shock.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Just to be clear the new quad seals took care of the issue on the gen 1 DBinline. The IL can followed just after that. It's a much improved shock. Too bad the early generation failures pretty much killed this shock because it's a good shock. I still have one on my Ibis Ripley LS and on wifey's HD3. It's not like there's anything else on the market that is profoundly better in performance and adjustability for the weight.

And try Fox's CS or Sram for that matter. You pretty much can't deal with either unless you go through a bike shop and/or you have an insider hookup.
Well no, it was the fact that they realized they needed to do quality checks that "fixed" things - they lost me as a customer while they were figuring that out; I'm perfectly willing to give companies the benefit of the doubt, but it took way too many years for them to figure out they needed to do basic things. Frankly, they owe me a working shock. Me and everyone else that bought one in the first 6-7 years they made them. It's not quite Crank Bros bad, but still, they are definitely in the 5 worst bike companies out there today.

Sram/Rockshox explicitly requires all warranties to go through dealers. The only experience I have dealing wit that was easy as could be. More importantly, it was ONE interaction - there was a problem, they fixed it (and didn't argue about it, even though they could have made a case it was my fault), the shock was fine for 3 years afterwards. CC, they take it in, fix it, then a month later something else goes wrong.

With CC, first, you will need to have a spare shock, because the shock is so Rube Goldberg that they are the only ones that can work on it, even for something basic like air seals. It will take them 3-4 weeks to turn it around (because every shock they sold needs warranty work). Also budget for replacing the shock the day it's out of warranty.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Well no, it was the fact that they realized they needed to do quality checks that "fixed" things - they lost me as a customer while they were figuring that out; I'm perfectly willing to give companies the benefit of the doubt, but it took way too many years for them to figure out they needed to do basic things. Frankly, they owe me a working shock. Me and everyone else that bought one in the first 6-7 years they made them. It's not quite Crank Bros bad, but still, they are definitely in the 5 worst bike companies out there today.

Sram/Rockshox explicitly requires all warranties to go through dealers. The only experience I have dealing wit that was easy as could be. More importantly, it was ONE interaction - there was a problem, they fixed it (and didn't argue about it, even though they could have made a case it was my fault), the shock was fine for 3 years afterwards. CC, they take it in, fix it, then a month later something else goes wrong.

With CC, first, you will need to have a spare shock, because the shock is so Rube Goldberg that they are the only ones that can work on it, even for something basic like air seals. It will take them 3-4 weeks to turn it around (because every shock they sold needs warranty work). Also budget for replacing the shock the day it's out of warranty.
Yes, it's too bad they screwed the pooch with the first generation Inline. But your exaggerating to make your point. Turn-around time in my experience has been less than 10 days but whatever. It's good to have choices. My guess is you wouldn't be too happy with Ohlins either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.