Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ay Diablo!
611 Posts
I have one, but only have two rides on it. Then the snow came :mad: , and it sits in my garage waiting for the glories day to be ridden again. I had a AD-10 before the cloud 9 and liked it a bunch. The cloud 9 is so plush , i could really tell a difference between it and the AD-10. I can't wait to log some more time on it.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
What bike this going on?

They are pretty neat shocks, totally user serviceable and were the first high volume linear air shocks making it a very plush shock. The Cloud nines lack the adjustable volume of their other shocks which might be a problem if you are installing it on a falling rate bike.

I personally would never use one again. It's air dampened so there is no rebound control, its like a pogo stick and if you adjust the compression down you sacrifice even more rebound control.

Fox, Manitou, and Progressive all have more modern, oil dampened, spv air shocks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On a Turner Burner

Ratt said:
They are pretty neat shocks, totally user serviceable and were the first high volume linear air shocks making it a very plush shock. The Cloud nines lack the adjustable volume of their other shocks which might be a problem if you are installing it on a falling rate bike.

I personally would never use one again. It's air dampened so there is no rebound control, its like a pogo stick and if you adjust the compression down you sacrifice even more rebound control.

Fox, Manitou, and Progressive all have more modern, oil dampened, spv air shocks.

I thought the Cloud 9 did have rebound adjustment???

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
glennd357 said:
I thought the Cloud 9 did have rebound adjustment???
It does, but what he's getting at is that the range is not huge. It's not oil damped, but air damped, controlled with a gate that restricts the speed of flow. And as you increase compression damping, it somehow lessens the rebounds effectiveness. That said though, it's a great shock, it feels wonderfully pillowy, unlike most shocks, you never feel the stiction in the motion of the shock, it's just this fluffy, indescribeable ride quality, Cloud 9 is a great name for it, they really have a different feel. I had one on a Cannondale Raven, it felt lovely! The only issue I had was the compression gate switch, it functioned vertically , and was at the back of the shock, you could push it down, but then needed a tool to reach into the bottom of the rear swingarm mounting point to push it back up, as no finger would fit in there, so I would check that out. Good luck.

·
err, 27.5+
4,928 Posts
I rode one for about 3 months on an Intense Uzzi SL(horst 4 fsr frame) a couple of years back. It performed great. I found no flaw with the rebound or compression adjustment ranges on it. My only complaint was that it was effectively a pogo stick in the locked mode since it bypasses the damping circuit when locked. So I rode it open almost always. If I were to do it again I don't think I would. Just better options on the market these days. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran one on my Superlight.

It was an "upgrade" over the float that was on there, and it didn't work well at all. I was extremely disappointed in it. Lots of bob unless damping was too strong for typical CC riding, seemed to blow through travel unless so much pressure that it wasn't plush at all. II suspect that it just didn't work well with that suspension design in particular, as I've heard good things otherwise.

I did have an issue twice with it sticking in the compressed position also. Don't know if that's typical. Hope that helps.

Joel

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Billy Zoom said:
....I did have an issue twice with it sticking in the compressed position also. Don't know if that's typical. ..
Yes typical. You just adjusted the rebound knob too far in, back it out a couple of clicks and whoosh the shock springs back to life.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
Lots of bob unless damping was too strong for typical CC riding, seemed to blow through travel unless so much pressure that it wasn't plush at all. II suspect that it just didn't work well with that suspension design in particular, as I've heard good things otherwise.

Shocks are built to work within a given actuation ratio. Get a lever that is stronger than the shock's ability to resist it, and you will have the exact problem you did. If you still have it, send it in to Cane Creek, and have it valved for the frame you are using it with, (you can get the ratio by talking with the manufacturer) then you will love it! Good Luck

·
Registered
207 Posts
I just put one on my Rocky Mountain Element T.O. to replace a Fox RC. It has been a huge improvement, RCA works really well, nice response in the mid-stroke and feels like an ideal match to the frame. In my opinion, it has excellent range of adjustability in both rebound and compression. Both can be adjusted while riding to feel instantly how the change effects the ride. More range than the Fox it replaced. I highly recommend this shock. Just read the reviews on this site. I has a high rating for good reason.

Where the Cane Creek falls short is in Overwhelming marketing claims like Fox and in overcharging for service, again like Fox :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts