Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found some info here about replacing seals, but I still have a probably dumb question:

if that collar on the shock is loose, that would cause air to leak, correct?

I have this shock on a soft tail and it didn't hold pressure during my ride yesterday. It went from 200 psi to 0 every 20 minutes or so. I am the 3rd owner of this bike and when I got it i notice there was remnants of teflon tape on the valve, so apparently the previous owner(s) had problems with it, and it could be the valve. The shock can't be more than a year old considering the bike was built in 2006. How quickly do seals go bad? And if it's not the seals or valve stem, could it be the loose collar? I found it loose after I got home and started looking at it. I tightened it up by hand, but won't have a chance to test it with a long ride for a few days. I'm going to go ahead and order the seal replacement kit in the meantime. Just wondering if I may have already solved the problem by tightening the collar. One other thing: the shock does not seem to lose air when the bike is not being ridden, does this mean i won't see bubbles if i do the water test with it?

Thanks for any help/suggetions,
Steve

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
If it's a year old and never had...

any maintenance it very well could have worn seals. Also remember that the 06 bikes originally came out in the later quarter of 05. If the bike was an "early release" model it could have as much as 16 months on it. I would guess that your loose air sleave may well have been you leakage problem. If the shock only looses air when ridden then I have no doubt that you may well have solved your leak problem. But with that said, I would go ahead and install the rebuild kit. From the sounds of it the former owner(s) didn't have a clue! I mean there should be NO plumbers tape anywhere on that shock for crying out loud! Anyway, the idea is that the shock has probably had 0 maintenance. So it won't hurt a thing to do the work (it don't take much) and do the rebuild just for insurance. Loose bits tend to wear seals etc. very rapidly. So you may have solved you leak problem when the shock is static, but it very well could exhibit the same leakage problem when being ridden still. So go ahead and rebuild it, it doesn't take long and is quite easy to do. I'd also make a trip to the hardware or auto parts store and get a new valve just to be on the safe side. They're cheap and only require a valve core wrench to install. That way if there is a problem in that department as well, you have the solution on hand.

Good Dirt

·
( )
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i think the former owners knew there was a leak somewhere but didn't try to locate it or fix it, so they just wrapped the valve stem in tape. :skep: I'm definitely going to rebuild it, thank you for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.