Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Marzocchi Tappered Fork, however my freme
in not designed for it (1/1/8" fork). Cane Creek makes a conversion headset. I was wondering if anyone knows of people using this and if so have they had issues and/or would this be a recommended configuration to try ?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I belive you have it backwards....the conversion is when you have a tappered Frame steer tube and you want to run a 1-1/8 fork.
If your frame steer tube is 1-1/8 I don't think you can run a 1.5 fork..pretty sure..but I could be worng...
Anyone confirm..or am I full of SMOKE?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I belive you have it backwards....the conversion is when you have a tappered Frame steer tube and you want to run a 1-1/8 fork.
If your frame steer tube is 1-1/8 I don't think you can run a 1.5 fork..pretty sure..but I could be worng...
Anyone confirm..or am I full of SMOKE?
You've got it right.

OP, are you saying the frame itself isn't designed for a tapered fork, or the headset currently on the frame won't accept a tapered fork? We need come clarification here....

If the frame has a straight steer tube(info available on mfg's website) then there's no way you're getting that fork in there. If the headset just is 'reduced' to 1 1/8, then go ahead and buy a tapered CC40, and have a shop press it in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
329 Posts
At Cane Creek's FAQ's:

DO I NEED A TAPERED HEAD TUBE TO USE A TAPERED FORK ON MY BIKE?

In most cases, yes. However; with the introduction of certain models from Cane Creek, tapered forks can be run in two straight head tubes. The classic 1.5" head tube has an inside diameter (ID) of 49.61mm, with use of our ZS49/28.6 TOP assembly, a tapered fork can be used instead of the straight 1.5" that head tube was intended for. With the EC44/40 Bottom assembly, non tapered 1 1/8" head tubes with a 44mm ID can utilize a tapered fork as well.

I guess if you a 49mm bottom you might still be out of luck, but it's worth contacting them.

·
otb club member
3,087 Posts
I recently purchased a Marzocchi Tappered Fork, however my freme
in not designed for it (1/1/8" fork). Cane Creek makes a conversion headset. I was wondering if anyone knows of people using this and if so have they had issues and/or would this be a recommended configuration to try ?
What is your model and year of frame? A 44mm ID head head tube was originally designed for an internal headset and a straight 1-1/8" fork steer tube. However, with the proper external cup installed in the bottom of the head tube, you can run a tapered fork. Cane Creek makes these cups and so do we: REAL WORLD CYCLING HEADSET ADAPTER/EXTERNALIZER

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.