Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make a wheel decision for my Racer X. I ride soley XC / Trail riding with no jumps. I'm looking at the Cane Creek Zonos and the Pure BWW with DT Swiss 4.2 rims.

Cane Creeks are around $200, but they CC is discontinuing these wheels so parts would be an issue in the future, but for the price I'm not too cooncerned with that.

Pure BWW $389, a little unproven yet (except for Moe's and Mike T's reviews), but the red hubs would look pretty sweet with my black frame and a red CK headset. :thumbsup:

Anyway I would appreciate any suggestions or comments.

Thanks, Jay

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
I know nothing about the CCZ wheels but this pic would be enough to put me off -

Who's going to stock a spoke for those wheels if you bust one? And for how much? Wheels like the BWWs use normal, everyday boring j-bend spokes; available anywhere for $0.75 a pop. I'll assume both the CC and the BWW hubs are made offshore so that's a wash - not that there's anything wrong with that.

Go the pimpin' route and match up those colors!

·
Registered
186 Posts
In a previous life I had to do warranty for cane creek when I worked for the Canadian distro.
Pain in the A$$ to rebuild or replace spokes.
The BWW are lighter and will probably be easier to work with. I'd go that route.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.......Your responses have got me seeing RED as in RED BWW hubs with DT Swiss 4.2 Rims, RED nipples and black spokes.

I pulled the trigger this afternoon and placed my order.

Thanks for the direction..

·
beautiful noise...
321 Posts
bloodyknee said:
Thanks for the input.......Your responses have got me seeing RED as in RED BWW hubs with DT Swiss 4.2 Rims, RED nipples and black spokes.

I pulled the trigger this afternoon and placed my order.

Thanks for the direction..
I understand your hesitance and have even directed people away from the buying the remaining CC wheels due to them being (more or less) disposable, but feel the need to state that the Zonos wheels are a few steps beyond the BWW set-up in regard to design, function, and build quality. I weigh 195lbs and don't shy away from the rough stuff. I've been literally beating the sh*t outta mine for almost four years. At the three year mark I had to have them trued and re-tensioned. I then broke the rear axle at Northstar in Tahoe after poorly landing an accidental 6' drop. It cost me $60 to fix it and took 15 minutes. My buddy has been rocking one of the newer sets now for two years without a single issue. 36 points of engagement, Sapim X-Ray bladed steel spokes, and UST rims for $200 or so is pretty hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No doubt they are a good wheelset and why they were on my list. Actually, I had read a few of your posts on the Zonos and your reviews were very helpful and probably one of the reasons the decision was as tough as it was.....Time will tell if I made a bad decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.