Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running Cany SL's on all my bikes for about 2 years now. Previous to that, I was in SPD's. I like the Candy's ability to clip in no matter how gooped up things get and also like the float they allow.

But there are certain attributes I don't like. First is there tendancy to release when the pedals bottom on a rock. Another thing I'm getting tired of is how fast I can wear out a set of cleats, usually about 4 months MAX.

So now I'm thinking about upgrading to Time ATEC XS's or XE's. I was wondering if any of you riders out there have changed over from Candy's to Time pedals and are you happy with them. THX

·
Registered
689 Posts
I hated having to rebuild my c/b's every 6 months so I switched back to times because I feel that they have better bearings. As far as cleats go they both use brass and if you are walking around a lot on them they are going to wear. All of my bikes have time pedals on them and it has been well over a year since they have been changed (3000+ miles) and they work fine. BTW it is ATAC not ATEC

·
Registered
21 Posts
have both

Still have my Time ATAC's, put like 2500 miles on 'em. They were great, but got Candy SL's as a gift. Like them too, a lot. I've noticed the ease of clipping in, never have to think twice about it. Recently I've read that the cleats wear out a lot faster than other pedal cleats, we'll see.

Gonna get another bike one of these days soon enough, gonna throw the Times on that ride (got new shoes in the closet just waiting for it!).

Never gonna get rid of the Times & would buy another pair in a heartbeat.

MEOW

·
Registered
326 Posts
Anonymous said:
I struggled for a couple of years using Shamanos, Ritchies, and so on, before I bought my Times. I love them. I'll never go back.
I've been thinking about making the switch from SPD to Times on my cross country bike. I've heard from other riders that the Times are easier to unclip from than the SPD's. What's your take on the SPD -vs- Times ?

·
Trail Rider
914 Posts
I tried Times and liked that no matter how much mud, I could clip in or out. I had the carbon pedals. There were two things about them I didn't like. The carbon body became very slippery when wet and they required too much twist to release. I just couldn't twist so much, quickly. It is just me though. You may find that they work well for you. I went back to 959s with the multi release cleats and I tighten them up in summer and back off on the screw in winter.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Quattro said:
I tried Times and liked that no matter how much mud, I could clip in or out. I had the carbon pedals. There were two things about them I didn't like. The carbon body became very slippery when wet and they required too much twist to release. I just couldn't twist so much, quickly. It is just me though. You may find that they work well for you. I went back to 959s with the multi release cleats and I tighten them up in summer and back off on the screw in winter.
Can't help you with the slippery pedal body issue, but as for the twist to release part:

Time cleats are not symmetrical. Last pair I bought had a star on one. If you instal them with the "star" cleat on one shoe, you get the extra elastic, long twist to release. This can be good or bad - good if you need to use body english without unclipping, bad if you need to bail in a hurry. Put the "star" cleat on the other shoe and you get a shorter, crisper relase motion.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Had both...

Both are nice. Times are more durable but a bit heavier. I'd be running Times instead of Candies except I have Eggs on too many other bikes (I like the Eggs the best) and don't want to deal with different pedals requiring different cleats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.