Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I posted pics of the frame several weeks back, but due to a couple of set backs and me being gone a whole lot I did not get it built until yesterday. Took it out today for a few hours to work out the kinks on some rail trail and urban stuff on the local college campus. Just kind of disappeared underneath me, which was really great. I have it set up 1x9 at the moment and have the SS wheel waiting.

Curtlo custom 29er, Paragon sliders, candy purple powdercoat
Reba Race with push lock
Thomson stem
King HS
Salsa Pro-Moto 11 degree bar
SRAM X9 trigger, short cage rear mech
11-34 cluster geared/ White Ind 21t SS
Hope rear/Paul SS rear/Paul front DT comp spokes WTB Laserdiscs
Resolution front tire
Captain rear tire
Avid BB7 brakes
Profile cranks w/ Imperial 30t chainwheel
FSA bottom bracket
Thomson setback post
Performance Ti seat that fits my @ss nicely
Purple CB Candy pedals

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, there are a couple of things going on. First the ST angle is 71. Second, the front of the bike is sitting slightly up hill. My body measurements are kinda whacked.

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
mattbryant2 said:
Very nice. A couple of questions, if you don't mind:

1.) How long did the build take? I've read accounts of Doug taking a lot longer to complete projects than he estimates.
2.) What is the geometry of that frame? In particular, what is the head angle and how long are the chain stays?

Thanks!
No problem at all..

The build took 9 months. I was prepared for this going in, and never asked for or received a time quote. I have been noticing 6-9 months from the custom builders forum, etc. I got to visit his shop a couple of weeks ago and talk with him (3 hours north of me, and I was there on business). Very cool and down to earth guy.

The geometry is kinda wierd over all. Just as a note, I am 5'9", have a 34" inseam and a 6'2" arm span so I am nowhere near average. The angles are pretty slack ( 70 HT 71 ST), but I like it that way. I am not sure on the CS length (estimating 16.75" from the pic). I have the sliders all the way forward at the moment. I am currently out working remotely, so I will not see it again until next weekend.

·
Registered
919 Posts
powersusa said:
Very nice.. I'm a sucker for the smooth lines of a fillet welds
Maybe a minor point to most, but his frames are brazed, not welded. Totally different process.

Doug built a full-custom S3 road frame for me about three years ago, which I love. Great ride, great price. If I was doing a hard-tail or cross bike, I'd definitely go to him again.

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
you out-purpled my pink!

super nice build. My Curtlo has "old" wheels on it :(

Q. whats the difference between purple and pink?
A. your grip.

// where's the bottle opener?!

go do some brodies on that thing!
hw

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.