Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this by accident in the religion/politics forum otherwise known as general discussion and since it is an actual review of a bicycle topic I figured that I should actually post it in the forum where there actually seems to be people who want to discuss bikes and bike parts etc. So here you go

So after running a set of Titec Hellbents for the last 5 years I decided that it was time to replace them. I have been experimenting with stem lengths for awhile to get my Bullit fully dialed. I finally have settled upon a stem length so I decided that instead of running the el-cheapo supergo stem with the old Titec I would make the jump to new gear.

First on my list was a Truvativ 31.8 xc/fr bar.

Specs:

Cold drawn butted AL-66
5 degree backsweep
580mm width
31.8mm clamp diameter
Blast black finish
169g

It is lighter and wider than my Titec. Comes stock on the kona XC/light FR bikes. The 31.8 clamp area looks gi-normous and a little ugly because this is not a top end bar so the swagging is a little cobbly.

Second was a suitable stem with a little bling potential

Raceface Diabolous 31.8 50mm stem

Specs:

RISE: 10 Degrees WEIGHT:250grams(50mm)
BAR DIAMETER: 31.8
COLOURS: Bad Ass Black
WARRANTY: Lifetime

Very portly but really very attractive and stiff beyond all get out.

Review:

This combination is so stiff that I can't believe the increase in precision in my bikes ability to pick a line and hold it, and I have a fairly stiff set up with a 20mm through axle up front and a triple compatible SC Bullit frame with very stout wheels.
After my first 4hr epic aboard this new set up I found that my triceps are sore as are my shoulders but the prerequiste blisters on the callouses of my hands were absent. I suspect that the stiffness made my arms sore because I was working the bike because I could now be more precise and I suspect that the blisters were absent because the effort to maneuver the bike (eg bunny hop, manuals, climbing etc.) was less due to the stiffness

Decision:

I highly recommend this upgade for anyone that is looking for an increase in stiffness and durability plus the added perk of increase precision in steering/drops that it affords. i believe that this will eventually become the standard in mountain bike stem/bar interfaces.

This set-up seems to be the perfect upgrade for those that run a 6"+ travel single crown Freeride set up( or obviously DH setups). I would avoid this on any rigid bike though because, again as if I didn't stress this enough, this set up is stiff with a capital S.

·
Administrator
11,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah,

peachy-B said:
i wonder how much stiffer the 31.8 really is. u know scientific numbers as oppose to the sore-arms-and-shoulder gauge. i hear MX don't even have a 31.8
mx does have a cross bar though. Mucho stiffness through those. Had a pair of Bontrager crowbars and they were super stiff and they also were smaller than standard and used a shim to mount in a standard 26.4 (?) stem. They were BMX sized. BMX bars are super storng but again a cross bar and chromo. I think the perk is the light weight and the stiffness. (dunno though)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.