Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CANBERRA DEFERS BID FOR 2008 UCI MOUNTAIN BIKE AND TRIALS WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

After months of negotiation with the UCI, Canberra Off-Road Cyclists (CORC) and APIS Consulting, who together form the provisional organising committee for the 2008 UCI World Mountain Bike and Trials Championships bid, have decided to defer the bid to 2009.

The ACT Government, Cycling Australia and Mountain Bike Australia have been informed of this decision.

The UCI recently announced that the 2008 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships would be held between 16-22 June 2008. However, the Canberra bid had always been based on holding the 2008 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships in early September 2008. This was in line with the dates of every such championship since 2001.

The UCI are concerned about their ability to satisfactorily promote the World Championships in an Olympic year and to allow the riders to effectively peak twice in the year. The June dates chosen by UCI effectively precludes Canberra, as it’s in the middle of winter and it’s also the shortest days of the year in terms of daylight hours available to competitors.

The venue for the 2008 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships is likely to be announced in July from the remaining northern hemisphere contenders of Canada, Italy and the Czech Republic.

The UCI has accepted the deferral of the Canberra bid to 2009 at no additional cost to the Australian organisers. A decision for hosting the 2009 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships will be made at either the September 2006 or January 2007 meetings of the UCI management committee.

The UCI have set the dates for the 2009 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships as September 1-6, a more suitable time of year for such an event in Canberra. Given the strength of Canberra’s bid and the world class facility being developed at Mount Stromlo, there is still a very strong and real chance of winning the event in 2009.:thumbsup:

The Canberra bid team would like to thank all involved in the bid from CORC, APIS, the ACT Government, Cycling Australian and MTBA and we are now devoting all our energy to securing the 2009 UCI Mountain Bike and Trials World Championships for Canberra.:)
Statement ends June 21 2006

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Unreal. I guess these things happen though!

Best of luck for the 2009 bid Anthony, I have no doubt you’ll win the event next time around. :thumbsup:

Dave.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave

I am pretty confident re the status of 09. The UCI were very happy with what they saw here but in the end it will all come down to politics. My tip is Canada for 08, but I would not mind seeing it go to Italy or the Czech Republic. There seems to be an unwritten rule about one year Europe, the next year the rest of the world.

Anyway, we have been able to use this bid as a lever to get a further 130K out of the cash strapped ACT Government so even if it passes us by (which I don't think it will) it has been worth the time and effort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts