Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Canadian Cyclist
Road trip anyone?

Canadian Single Speed Championships 2010
December 16, 2009 - Mike Connolly

Prince Edward Island to Host First Ever

Canadian Single Speed Championships In 2010

September 25th and 26th, 2010 will be Prince Edward Island's time to shine as it presents the first openly advertised Canadian Single Speed Championships (CSSC).

50 kilometres of beautiful yet difficult rolling single-track awaits single speeders from Victoria to Halifax, between and beyond during what is arguably the most beautiful time of year for our sport. And although the title will go to the first male and female Canadians to cross the finish line, riders from around the globe are more than welcome to make this race even better.

To make the 2010 CSSC happen in true single speed style, there will be live music before and after the race , great food, and of course plenty of Canada's favourite beverage. Race organiser Eric Cudmore states "I want everyone to have as much fun as possible. That's my main concern." What better person to host the CSSC than a three time Single Speed World Championships participant as well as former brew master. There will be prizes for male and female winners and will definitely be worth the gruelling effort. There will also be awards for best dressed, and for the racer who travelled the furthest to get to PEI. Of course several other none traditional awards and door prizes will be given out.

Pre registration will be available at these locations:

www.cpei.ca starting in February

www.2010cssc.blogspot.com

Sponsorship opportunities are available for this event.

For more information, please contact Eric at [email protected]
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Perfect! That's the weekend after Crank the Shield. I should be in top form by then... :skep:

Not that anything in PEI is far from Charlottetown but I wonder how close it'll be?
 

·
mostbrokenestscaphoidever
Joined
·
228 Posts
How would this race be for those like me who are not the fastest, or the best riders... I'd be up for it just to experience new trails and have some fun. I am planning alot of road trips with my bike this year and some including racing in other parts just for the experience...

Lots of time to put in some good miles with the event being in Sept tho...:D assuming we aren't gushed with rain again this season...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mysty said:
How would this race be for those like me who are not the fastest, or the best riders... I'd be up for it just to experience new trails and have some fun. I am planning alot of road trips with my bike this year and some including racing in other parts just for the experience...

Lots of time to put in some good miles with the event being in Sept tho...:D assuming we aren't gushed with rain again this season...
read the blog

http://www.2010cssc.blogspot.com/

how much you can drink is more important then how fast you are. if your into that its perfect for you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
You mean I'm shut out of this race because I ride a geared biked?
How would single speeders react if they were told they can't ride Crank the Shield because they ride single speeds?
 

·
Economy Stimulator
Joined
·
351 Posts
My In-laws live in Ch'town, i'm there twice a year and i've never been mountain biking there...i always bring the roadie...now where exactly is the mountain biking? I have no idea, but i assume it is at brookvale (the old dump turned ski hill).
 

·
mostbrokenestscaphoidever
Joined
·
228 Posts
well then...

JamieDavies said:
read the blog

http://www.2010cssc.blogspot.com/

how much you can drink is more important then how fast you are. if your into that its perfect for you
I'm not sure about the drinking part... I am european afterall and came from a home where beer and wine were served to us at birth...:p :p :p

I'll definately keep it in mind... though would be nice to find a group of people to share the drive out and accomodations. I'll have to find out what is all around there.

Thanks Jamie:D
 

·
Self-defeatist
Joined
·
965 Posts
garage monster said:
Are the oysters any good there that time of year?
Yup, the trees are full of them! It's a magical time of year. Seriously, as long as the water's not frozen, there's fresh seafood.

Dgage said:
You mean I'm shut out of this race because I ride a geared biked?
How would single speeders react if they were told they can't ride Crank the Shield because they ride single speeds?
I'm afraid you've got no options.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Dgage said:
You mean I'm shut out of this race because I ride a geared biked?
How would single speeders react if they were told they can't ride Crank the Shield because they ride single speeds?
Well, not exactly. you may show up with gears, but someone will dissable them for the period of the race. Can you say "cable cutters"? we arent shutting you out. You aren't the problem. In fact we want you to come over and race. But seriously, are rocket cars allowed in stock car races? Are horses allowed in grey hound races? No. You can not show up to a SINGLE speed race with multiple gears.
 

·
mtbr Decade+
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
"singlespeeders from Victoria to Halifax"?

Why are they excluding Cape Bretoners and Newfoundlanders? Afraid I guess. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
singlespeedfarmer said:
Well, not exactly. you may show up with gears, but someone will dissable them for the period of the race. Can you say "cable cutters"? we arent shutting you out. You aren't the problem. In fact we want you to come over and race. But seriously, are rocket cars allowed in stock car races? Are horses allowed in grey hound races? No. You can not show up to a SINGLE speed race with multiple gears.
I still fail to see the need for a "single speed championship". Every other bike race usually lets you ride whatever you want. I believe I can take a nice road bike into "Crank the shield" and I could probably ride a mountain bike in most road races if I wanted to.
But I feel that the more we have these splinter groups the more harm we are doing to cycling in general. We already have enough different groups in cycling trying to get sponsorships and government funding that we really shouldn't be dividing ourselves more.
I've seen this happen in other sports especially equestrian. Every type of horse has their own little association (sometimes two or three depending on the breed) and they compete against each other for money and sponsorships.
Besides .how long will it be before you'll have 26" singlespeeders not wanting to compete against 29" singlespeeders, oh and don't forget the 650 wheel size too or tubless vs the ones with tubes, i mean where does it end?
 

·
Evil Jr.
Joined
·
6,859 Posts
Dgage said:
... and I could probably ride a mountain bike in most road races if I wanted to.
Not so fast; depending on the category, the UCI might have a thing or two to say about that! :D

You might be taking this a little too seriously. This isn't even as specific as SS races get already. For instance, the SSCX Nationals were in Guelph in the fall.

Most SS events are little more than a trumped up excuse to eat and drink WAY too much anyhow. Let us have our fun! It's not like you're not welcome; you just have to bring less gear (ha! :D) than usual. :)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top