Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought there would be a thread on this but I didn't see much other than a few sporadic posts in the Jenson thread.

Im sure many of you have ventured down this path and was wondering if we can create a thread on it about importing bicycles from the US.

I'm interested in a Fezzari but with the possibility of being assessed 13% extra for duties and then HST on top; it really dampens the decision. What I'm confused about is what is considered as complete/assembled bike. I emailed CBSA and this was their response; which still leaves me a bit puzzled.

The bike company is a US company; and assembled/shipped from the US. Does that make it duty free? But the components that it is built up from are from all over the place; SRAM is Taiwanese, Frame is probably from Taiwan, but Fox is from US AFAIK. I'm sure the shipper will just label it as 'bicycle'. So who has experience with all this?

TIA

Rates of duty vary according to the goods you are importing, the country where the goods were made, and the country from which you are importing them.

While the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) has rendered goods manufactured in the United States (U.S.), Canada, or Mexico free of customs duties, it does not exempt the goods from the application of the excise duty or tax, the goods and services tax (GST), the provincial sales tax (PST), or the harmonized sales tax (HST) if applicable.

If the items were made in any other country, additional duty rates would also be applied as follows:
· Bicycle (assembled or non-assembled) – 13.0%
· Bicycle parts only – 0.0 – 5.0%

Please note that, where applicable, the GST and the PST, or the HST, are calculated on the duty-paid value of the price you have paid for the goods converted into Canadian currency. Any excise duties or taxes may also be applicable.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts