Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Canadian dealers selling Scott Genius, bearing problems?

Looking to snag an "illegal" Scott Genius. Are there any good/reputable Canadian dealers stocking these frames willing to ship into the States?

One more thing: I read this latest post on singletrack. Anyone else have similar experience?

Two of the guys in our club bought Genius mc 20's last year as they looked such great bikes. 5'' travel adjustable traction/ lockout settings and pretty good kit making a light fast trail/ enduro bike. Things however haven't been so good on the reliability front, the groupset/ forks/ wheels and finishing kit have been great. The main concern is the rear shock, both guys were shown by the dealer who sold the bike how to set and tune it for their style and weight but problems soon arose. Nick's bike went 2 months before the back end sunk mid ride refusing to rise, Greg's was much better at 3 months. Both bikes were fitted with 3 shocks each in 12 months including the 06 'improved' version which is also playing up after 3 weeks. Neither bikes have ever reached the 125mm of rear travel or felt remotely plush and there is a design flaw with the main pivot bushes. They use the same tiny bearings throughout the back end and at the main lower pivot is too small, both bikes have failed twice in 12 months. Problem is once the warranty's over your knackered as the shock is a pull not push you have to use the Scott Taiwanese made rubbish.
Shame because it could have been a great bike if only Scott had put function before form.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
westin said:
Looking to snag an "illegal" Scott Genius. Are there any good/reputable Canadian dealers stocking these frames willing to ship into the States?
http://www.scottusa.com/dealers/ just call around and see who'll ship to the US. the bicycle cafe (alberta) and calgary cycle (alberta) are very reputable dealers, not sure if they'll ship (bicycle cafe probably would)

i have only heard good things about the genius, yours is the first negative review i've ever read.

·
Registered
174 Posts
westin said:

Try SportSwap in Toronto. I have seen the owner and a wrench of his racing and riding them this summer. Their website is outdated, but here is their E-Mail [email protected] Attn Barry Near...he is the owner.(416) 481-0249
Sport Swap Inc. • 2063 Yonge Street • Toronto, Ontario • M4S 2A2

1 - 3 of 3 Posts