Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Canadian Cyclist of the Year voting

1K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  rockyuphill 
#1 ·
Canadian Cyclist has the voting open for racer of the year and a write in vote for Canadian Cyclist of the Decade. Here's a chance to support your favourite Canadian racer. You have till the end of Dec 20.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z2HHN89

#3 · (Edited)
Gesundheit!

Not to mention Ryder Hesjedal.and Roland Green (although he retired in 2005 so that's sort of a half the previous decade and half the last decade rider)

Over the 2000-2009 decade there's been some major medal winning gals to choose from in that Canadian Cyclist of the Decade category... Alison Sydor, Leslie Tomlison, Marie-Hélène Prémont. Canadian gals really ruled the World Cup and Marathon stage race podiums roost in the past 10 years.

Sports uniform Human leg Sportswear Shorts World

Clothing Footwear Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

Clothing Eyewear Sports uniform Vision care Glasses

#5 ·
limba said:
Canadian girls rock! :)
Yes, Roland was the Man for a couple of years.
I wonder if there's any future plans for Kabush on the road.
i think if Kabush was going to cross over to road, he would have years ago already. and why other than for money. if he moved to road, he would be just another guy on a team, probably not the leader of a big team obviously... why not stay on the dirt where he is pretty much the top NA rider and can do well on the WC (even win).

i think more guys should just do what they actually LOVE to do, rather than switch just to make more money.

#6 ·
Same reason Cadel Evans, Miguel Martinez, Michael Rusmussen, Ryder Hesjedal, etc left, because road racing is the highest level of competition the sport has and he wants to test/push himself.
If he's not into that's cool. I was just curious if he would give it a try.

#7 ·
Kabush does fairly well at Cyclocross on those drop bar bikes, but he is dynamite at the dirt. In MTB racing he's a serious contender, he might not be as far forward in the peloton on the pavement as there's so many euros that are focused on skinny tire racing. As far as attracting major sponsors, being on the podium helps, so I expect he's got a few years to go in the dirt yet.

#12 ·
And the results are in: http://canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=18063

In the write-in vote for the Canadian Cyclist of the Decade, Hesjedal was selected by 31.4% of voters, followed by Premont (16.6%) and two-time mountain bike world champion Roland Green of Rossland, BC (14.6%). Pro road racer Michael Barry (8.0%) was fourth and Lori-Ann Muenzer (6.3%) fifth.

#15 ·
rockyuphill said:
And the results are in: http://canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=18063

In the write-in vote for the Canadian Cyclist of the Decade, Hesjedal was selected by 31.4% of voters, followed by Premont (16.6%) and two-time mountain bike world champion Roland Green of Rossland, BC (14.6%). Pro road racer Michael Barry (8.0%) was fourth and Lori-Ann Muenzer (6.3%) fifth.
A bit of a surprise for me too .... Rider H. won a mtb race and finished 2nd on the overall UCI XC cup ... as of, Marie-Helene Premont won the overall UCI XC championship (2008), after finishing 2nd overall on the UCI XC (2007, 2005, 2004), and 3rd overall (2006) !!! I have nothing against Rider, and I think he is having a wounderfull career with Garmin, BUT, to me, the results are a clear indication that this was a "roadie vote" !!

#17 ·
I am surprised.

Personally I think Roland deserved it. Two times world champ. plus world cup overall when MTB was at its peak, never mind a heap load of Norba wins. He had some pretty respectiable road results too.

But that was a while ago. Probably most of people who voted don't remember how fast he was.

#18 ·
rockyuphill said:
According to his website he won Les Gets World Cup in 2002 (his first pro season) and he has 7 World Cup Championship medals.
I suspect the majority of the 7 medals are for the team relay where Canada used to place highly year in year out. 1 medal each as junior and espoir U23 too if I remember correctly.

On the whole though I'd chalk this up to the "recency" effect in the same way that films released toward the end of the year are in a better position to win Oscars. It's hard to beat 2x senior world championships, although Green was in the unfortunate position of having his most successful years just barely cross over into this decade before retiring. Ryder has racked up almost a full decade of notable results of one kind or another over the past decade, though not reaching quite the same high point on the MTB side.

In any case, I doubt Roland's losing any sleep over it. Ryder now has a canadiancyclist.com reader vote win, while Roland has 2 world championship wins. Easy choice. ;)

#20 ·
limba said:
Roland got busted for taking drugs right? Maybe that hurt him.
Interesting situation...Yes tested positive for one of the components of his asthma medication. The catch is that he had a pre-existing TUE (Therapeutic Use Exemption) in a timely fashion if I remember correctly, where a TUE is essentially permission to use a substance that is otherwise on the banned list - such as the asthma medication in Green's case - as prescribed by a medical doctor. However, Green screwed up and didn't file in a timely fashion for renewal of his TUE with the UCI, and consequently fell off-side of the exemption he previously had for that medication. It's the athlete's responsibility to be on top of these things, so they hit him with a 6 month suspension. Quite light considering the standard suspension for any doping violation is generally 2 years.

That dovetails into a more complex question of whether there is any trend of abuse among elite athletes of TUEs, to get what is essentially a "Get Out of Jail Free Card" for a substance that would otherwise be treated as a positive test. For example, I've heard it casually mentioned that the rate of asthma among pro cyclists is off the charts compared to the general population. Is that because cyclists are predisposed to asthma because of the nature of their athletic activity, or because it represents a loophole that can be exploited relatively easily?

#22 ·
LMN said:
I am surprised.

Personally I think Roland deserved it. Two times world champ. plus world cup overall when MTB was at its peak, never mind a heap load of Norba wins. He had some pretty respectiable road results too.

But that was a while ago. Probably most of people who voted don't remember how fast he was.
agreed - to me this should have been a no brainer - roland easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.