Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,697 Posts
Yikes, thats awful. Condolences to his family that he left behind. While he was "doing what he loved"... no one wants to go at 44yrs old after anything like that.

Did a tiny bit of digging through the links provided. Looks like THIS is the trail he was on. Rated blue, and at least from the photos on trailforks, doesn't look all that crazy (although, apparently there is a 5ft drop there somewhere that isn't pictured). Its mostly a trail that follows the river from what I can see.

Looks like he somehow hit a pretty large rock in the river after falling from a couple feet. Although we lack any info on the actual cause of death, looking at the rock that they call out in the links/in trailforks (first photo in trailforks), it seems most likely he hit his head on it. Can't help but wonder if 1) he was wearing a full face, or 2) if that would have even helped.

Bummer.

· Registered
1,288 Posts
That sucks. Condolences to all. Reminds me of a time I came up lucky: approx 15 years ago in my early 20s, parked parallel to a road near a trailhead. Wheelie dropped out of my pickup bed to get firedup for the ride, wasn’t perfectly clean; landed on 2 wheels but with a quick scoot into the road to correct my balance. If a car had been coming down that road at the wrong time i would have been toast. Spooks me till this day.

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,237 Posts

· Registered
4,727 Posts
It's kind of amazing to me that this doesn't happen more often. I ride in quite a few different areas and the exposure, (you know- certain death is 2 feet away), on many trails doesn't allow for gawking and inattention. The worst mtb wrecks I've had were caused by my urge to gawk around while riding.
This is my worst enemy while riding. I'm ALWAYS looking everywhere BUT the trail. Always looking for snakes, shed horns, mushrooms. It'll be the death of me

· Self Appointed Judge&Jury
84,237 Posts
It's kind of amazing to me that this doesn't happen more often. I ride in quite a few different areas and the exposure, (you know- certain death is 2 feet away), on many trails doesn't allow for gawking and inattention. The worst mtb wrecks I've had were caused by my urge to gawk around while riding.
Yep

· Registered
173 Posts
I had the throttle jam on a motorcycle and crashed head over heals after hitting the curb and when I check I found that within arm's length was a 18" tall sprinkler pipe that would have impaled and killed me. I decided motorcycles were not the best for me as any accident could be my last one.

Where I grew up in southern California it was routine to have to rescue rock climbers who got in over their heads. When 100 feet or more above the ground I was more relaxed as I thought that if I feel I would be dead as compared to falling from 20 feet and having people asking why I was being so stupid or careless.

I liked the term "brain basket" that was used with the old leather bike helmets. But one had no false sense of security with one of them strapped to their head.

· jalepenio jimenez
863 Posts
First ride at Gooseberry Mesa outside Virgin Utah came to a small step up in the sandstone with a gap between. Right next to you, one step over, was a 100 foot drop off the Mesa, straight down.
My memory was that it was at the far western end of the trail where the mesa necks down. Freaks me out thinking about it.
My belated condolences to this guy's family. Nobody deserves to die when they're having wholesome fun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts