Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Evil Jr.
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if there was such a thing as a Canadian Cycling Hall of Fame. Some mild googling tells me that there probably isn't.

I did learn about a cyclist listed in the Canada Sports Hall of Fame, "Torchy" Peden (who it turns out was a pretty cool guy and one-time holder of the mile record) but it did get me thinking of who I might include in a proverbial Hall of Fame.

Obviously, Torchy makes the cut by a long shot but here are some other notables I'd include:

Road
Alex Stieda
Steve Bauer
Clara Hughes

Track
Curt Harnett

Mountain
Alison Sydor
Marie-Helene Premont
Wade Simmons

Industry
Gerard Vroomen
Phil White
Louis Garneau

The Waiting List
Svein Tuft
Lyne Bessette
Micheal Barry
Ryder Hesjedal
Geoff Kabush
Catharine Pendrel
Steve Smith
Paul Brodie
Chris DeKerf

My list probably belies my age and my interests. The question is: who did I miss? :confused:

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
2 world championship XC titles and a world cup overall series title, plus a huge bag of NORBA wins might warrant a spot for Roland Green. ;)

Anyone from other disciplines like BMX, trials, or randonneuring?

· bi-winning
11,112 Posts

· Registered
788 Posts
I admit I am kind of a Cervelo hater, but I don't see Vroomen/White as cycling HoF material. Good with autocad, and the business acumen to subcontract to China and sponsor a big team? Meh.

Try Joe Gardin, Guiseppe Marinoni and Mike Barry Sr.

Roland Green Yes. And I don't think Ryder should be on the waiting list (his MTB accomplishments are almost on par w/Roland).

Gonna have to shout out Wade Simmons/Dangerous Dan/et al. as well. Competition not so much but they were at the forefront of a pretty crazy worldwide phenomenon.

Sure I am still missing some, I am pretty sure that we had a Women's DH medalist (champion?) in one of the 1st couple ever held. Cindy Devine/Cindy Whitehead, get the two confused.

*EDIT* It was indeed Cindy Devine: http://www.devineride.com/DevineRide_readmore.htm#Cindy
Winner of inaugural DH worlds and medalist the next 2 years

I also nominate Genevieve Jeanson to the hall of infamy.

· Ms. Monster
1,811 Posts
Love 'em or hate 'em, Dorel is a Canadian company that has a huge presence in the cycling industry...

How about Andrew Shandro?

I don't know MUCH about them (worth further research), but how about Katrina Strand and Claire Buchar?

· Evil Jr.
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I should probably clarify a bit on how I came up with the list. I figured that a World Championship, World Cup Overall, Olympic medal and Yellow Jersey were pretty much all on par and worthy of inclusion.By these measures, the riders you guys have suggested are obviously worthy. Wade Simmons is a legend and that's good enough for me.

veteran_youth said:
I admit I am kind of a Cervelo hater, but I don't see Vroomen/White as cycling HoF material. Good with autocad, and the business acumen to subcontract to China and sponsor a big team? Meh.

Roland Green Yes. And I don't think Ryder should be on the waiting list (his MTB accomplishments are almost on par w/Roland).
The only reason Ryder's still on the waiting list is that he hasn't retired yet. (I *think* MHP retired this year.)

Regarding Cervelo, love 'em or hate 'em, you can't ignore a Tour win, two Roubaixs, TT and Road World Champions, all the Tri success and the chutzpa to start a Pro team. I'm proud to count them as Canadians.

I'm not as familiar with Gardin, Marinoni and Mariposa with regards to palmares but they've definitely played a role in cycling inside of Canada!

I still find it hard to believe that there's no official Hall of Fame!

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
6 letters and one more name for consideration;

D-I-G-G-E-R

a.k.a. Todd Fiander, his influence on mountain biking had a global impact which is still in full swing today. For this I would suggest a "builder" category, which usually refers to general contributors to the sport (rather than athletes) for other sports that do have their own HOF, but in this case the tag of builder is also quite literal. While a quick web search will correctly associate him in the sphere of homegrown videos, his overall input in shaping the sport for millions of participants worldwide was far greater than simply holding a camera.

Here's a fluff piece that alludes to some of Digger's groundbreaking (ha ha another pun!) work;

http://www.tntmagazine.com/travel/destinations/north_america/canada/feature/mountain-biking-in-canada.aspx

· Team NFI
5,304 Posts
veteran_youth said:

Gonna have to shout out Wade Simmons/Dangerous Dan/et al. as well. Competition not so much but they were at the forefront of a pretty crazy worldwide phenomenon.

Sure I am still missing some, I am pretty sure that we had a Women's DH medalist (champion?) in one of the 1st couple ever held. Cindy Devine/Cindy Whitehead, get the two confused.

*EDIT* It was indeed Cindy Devine: http://www.devineride.com/DevineRide_readmore.htm#Cindy
Winner of inaugural DH worlds and medalist the next 2 years

I also nominate Genevieve Jeanson to the hall of infamy.
Andreas Hestler
Elladee Brown
Paul Brodie
Deep Cove

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
veteran_youth said:
I'll beg to differ and say that it's not really even close between the 2 in terms of major accomplishments on mountain biking;

World Championships ; Green = 2, Hesjedal = 0
Canadian National Championships ; Green = 4, Hesjedal = 0
World Cup wins ; Green = 2, Hesjedal = 1

Kabush, equalling Ryder's lone World Cup win, but bagging a handful of national titles as well as breaking all the records for U.S. national series wins for both XC and short track IIRC, is probably above Hesjedal if strictly looking at mountain bike results, although Geoff's high of 5th place at the World Championships this year isn't as nice a result as Ryder's 2nd place at Worlds one year.

However, a Grand Tour stage win, plus several GT finishes, and other noteworthy results all on the road in combination with the XC palmares is enough to push Hesjedal on to the "A" list IMHO.

· Evil Jr.
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Circlip said:
For this I would suggest a "builder" category, which usually refers to general contributors to the sport (rather than athletes) for other sports that do have their own HOF, but in this case the tag of builder is also quite literal.
I agree, there should be a "Builder" category for advocates, promoters and literal builders but I'm a little out of my depth there. :confused:

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
garage monster said:
I agree, there should be a "Builder" category for advocates, promoters and literal builders but I'm a little out of my depth there. :confused:
Don't worry, I can help with that. I nominate (cough) myself (cough) for the newly-created Builder category.

Not that I can remember building anything, but I won't make it for anything to do with actually riding a bike so this is my only shot at the HOF.

· LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
In my mind, Ryder's 2nd at Worlds was a 1st as the guy who won was busted for EPO. Still, Roland Green still has a more impressive race resume.

And concerning Marie-Hélène Prémont, she intended to retire last year but didn't, said at first she would do another year which she did... but now will race again in 2010, maybe to end here career with the MSA World Championships in her backyard.

Why not bump up Lyne Bessette, she did retire, she just does some races occasionally for fun now and she's had quite a career on the road and in cyclocross.

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Why not bump up Lyne Bessette, she did retire, she just does some races occasionally for fun now and she's had quite a career on the road and in cyclocross.
Weak palmares outside the scope of domestic North American competition against shallow talent pool. Very good, but not great international cyclist if we're subjectively limiting the critieria to Canadians who demonstrated the ability to be the best in the world for at least a few brief moments, if not more, or profoundly change/contribute to the sport in some other way.

· No. Just No.
5,430 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
She was the first North American to podium in a CX World Cup in Europe wasn't she? Before Jonathan Page and Katie Compton... Maybe not enough though.
I think she's great. :) All depends where you draw the subjective line.

· ups and downs
15,321 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
And concerning Marie-Hélène Prémont, she intended to retire last year but didn't, said at first she would do another year which she did... but now will race again in 2010, maybe to end here career with the MSA World Championships in her backyard.
And now that her asthma has been diagnosed, hopefully she'll be able to do as well as she did in Madrid in 2009 all through 2010, and repeat her 2008 Mont Sainte Anne race result at the World's. :thumbsup: That would be a nice way to cap off her career. :D

At least Alison's in the MBHOF
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pageid=6&year=2007&memberid=158

and the British Columbians are in the MBHOF
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pageid=6&memberid=94

· LA CHÈVRE
9,400 Posts
rockyuphill said:
And now that her asthma has been diagnosed, hopefully she'll be able to do as well as she did in Madrid in 2009 all through 2010, and repeat her 2008 Mont Sainte Anne race result at the World's. :thumbsup: That would be a nice way to cap off her career. :D

At least Alison's in the MBHOF
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pageid=6&year=2007&memberid=158

and the British Columbians are in the MBHOF
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/page.cfm?pageid=6&memberid=94
I'm guessing that will be her plan, maybe not focus on being as consistant as she used to be all season long but build up and be at her peak for the Worlds... I think she can do it, she's a good technical rider and must know the course more than anyone else.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.