Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres some pics we took when we rode some of the keystone standard basin trail last week.

Unfrotunately for us the weather was pretty bad it was either raining or we were riding in the clouds for most of the ride, but at least it didnt snow - some chaps we met in town the day before said they had woken up to thick smoke - but most of it has melted when we did the ride

The very wet trail condition meant we had to do a fair bit of hike a bike up some of the slopes, and eventually we got so cold and damp that we turned back before getting to the Cabin.

But the trail was fantastic sweet narrow alpine singletrack - and I imagine there would be fantastic views if it was clear

But on the plus side the only place we encountered bugs was in the car park and the skeeters were so sluggish due to the cold we were able to splat the suckers before they bit us :)

Heres the pics - sorry about the lack of views but we couldnt see any :mad:

Way behind on posting pics - we've been to New Denver & Kelowna since then and are heading to vancouver today

I'll be up at Tayx on 6th & 7th sept & then will stay at whistler from 8th to 13th sept - so if anyone would like to hook up for some XC rides PM me

Start of the Trail

The trail starts by heading up through a forest - this was tough going as all the routes were very slippy in the wet

Then it climbed up into the meadows

Retro Tracks on the keystone standard basin Smoke & Dart

Marmots on the trail

Pika in the rocks

Heading back

Going back down through the woods was much more fuin than going up

At the end of the trail

At the end of the ride the clouds did clear slightly

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
telebiker said:
Zinger, it's been a soggy trip for you so far. Hopefully, the weather gods will smile on you for Whistler and the Chicotins. Did you get to Seven Summits?
We headed over to New Denver next and I rode the wakefiled trail (It rained again at the top)

Then the next day we rode the Galena trail to h road to old sanderson (Amazingly it did not rain....)

And the next day we did ride the 7 summits trail which was great - but on that day it rained and snowed at times :eek:

The weather to be blunt has been cr*p - not at all like the sunny stable weather we usually experience when on holiday in the USA...

I'll see about getting together some more pics of the other rides soon

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
It has been about the most mediocre summer in recorded weather history for cold temps and rainfall in BC. There was some comment on CBC from a guy at the Alaska weather service who was pointing at a big shift in the water temperature in the northern Pacific being responsible for the cooler and wetter weather in BC and up into the Yukon. Whitehorse has been cheated out of their 20+ hour long summer days by rain and cloud cover. I sure hope this isn't the new normal. :skep:

·
Registered
30 Posts
local comment...

I live in Revelstoke and having been riding the Basin trail for the last 20 years, I can honestly tell you that this year is the wettest I have ever ridin' it...

We were in on Saturday and the trail is extremely slick in spots...especially the climb out of the cabin! However it is do-able even when wet!

We encountered sleet, snow, and rain but were awarded for our efforts with sunny skies for the last 4kms to warm our cold bones...

On the plus side the flowers are still out and there were no grizzly encounters!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest if I hadnt been riding with my wife I would have gone all the way to cabin bad weather or not, unfortunately the going can be quite slow when riding with her particularly when the goings wet , But I'm very lucky that I can drag her out on trips like this :) , back home she hardly ever rides her mountain bike preferring to run, swim and do a bit of road biking..

Before our next holiday I'll see about getting her off on a few DIva dirt camps to see if she can hone her skills a bit

Will definitley come back and try to do the ride again the nest time we visit Canada

·
Registered
30 Posts
It is definitely miserable when wet but I can guaranty that it is a beautiful ride and you should absolutely bring your wife back and try again when its drier as I'm positive she would enjoy it more...the views and the flowers make it an epic ride!
And feel free to let me when you're coming and I can show you more of the riding around the 'Stoke.

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Greyhost, I know this is a bit of a loaded question, but in your experience, what would you say would be the latest one could ride Keystone? Is end of September reasonable? We would like to come up from New denver for the day to ride it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well Telebiker...

I have rode the Basin in the last week of September and it was great. However as we BCer's have seen this year we are not having normal weather...

Wait until closer to the time you intend on riding and drop me a PM and I'll look at Mt MacKenzie, if the snows there than its a good chance Keystone will have it. The weatherman says its suppose to be nice for a couple weeks sooooo, ya never know!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.