Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm asking because my next project is to build a really light single speed and I have been looking at some Chinese carbon frames. One is really nice and has a PF30 bottom bracket which will fit some of the EBBs out there. I prefer EBBs to sliding dropouts for single speeds and I do not want to use a chain tensioner.

I once converted a Lynskey frame to run a Rohloff Speedhub without having to use an EBB. By luck, the chain fit perfectly. Don't think I'll get lucky again.

Does the EBB put too much stress on the carbon frame?

· Registered
1,296 Posts
You may want to consider this as an option...

· Registered
single speed
2 Posts

Ive been riding a scott scale clone from them, so far its been great. fork, wheels, and bars from them too. I couldn't get a Wheels Mfg EBB so i had to use the squid oner, but ive had no issue with that either. Not too much stress on the carbon, and no warranty void with dcb either thankfully.
Bicycle Wheel Snow Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

· Registered
697 Posts

· Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Interestingly enough, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. It’s like they read my mind. I live 16 miles from my job and want a simple, light commuter that I can not only wheel into the ER but maybe hit some of the less technical trails on. Light and simple. I just built a Specialized Enduro dreadnought which is a spectacular bike but a little much to drive to work.

5,889 Posts
+1 for the Wheels Mfg EBB. I used one and loved it. You should be good on a carbon frame, most carbon frames are molded around an aluminum shell. Niner uses their Biocentric in their AIR9 RDO carbon frame if that tells you anything.

· Registered
42 Posts
I'm using the Wheels Manuacturing EBB on my Workswell WCB-M-062 and have only had minor issues with slippage. As others have said, make sure the BB shell is super clean and use something to increase friction like permatex or carbon assembly compound. Most importantly the clamping bolts need to be below the BB shell and do not over tighten. Most Chinese carbon frames don't have metal BB shell inserts. Cheers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.