Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'd like to buy a new xtr crank but will it work with my 11speed kmc chain? Or are there any aftermarket rings available yet that will?
Kes

·
since 4/10/2009
34,565 Posts
Kinda pointless to buy the new xtr crank without the rest of the 12spd bits. I wouldn't bother, regardless of whether it actually works or not. Hint: it'll work, but it won't retain the chain quite as well as a regular N/W chainring

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why is it pointless if I need a new crank? My crank is on its way out and I want a lightweight crank with a 24mm axle.i don't want carbon and others such as hope have a 30mm axle.how do you know it won't work as well as a regular n/w ring?

·
since 4/10/2009
34,565 Posts
Why is it pointless if I need a new crank? My crank is on its way out and I want a lightweight crank with a 24mm axle.i don't want carbon and others such as hope have a 30mm axle.how do you know it won't work as well as a regular n/w ring?
It's pointless because the n/w tooth profile is made for the Shimano 12spd chain, so the wide bits are a bit smaller. Therefore, an 11spd chain will fit more loose on it than a 12spd Shimano chain.

There are plenty of other cranks on the market with 24mm spindles that you can get for less money that will run a chainring made to work with your 11spd drivetrain, assuming you NEED a new crank. None of the aftermarket companies I know are making rings for the new Shimano direct mount interface that are made for 10 and 11spd chains.

If you want Shimano 12spd, then buy Shimano 12spd.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.