Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
thats my red stapler
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The frame comes with a shim to reduce to 27.2. I read somewhere that using a 30.8 would cause damage to the seat tube? is this true or BS

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,933 Posts
Absolutely, but.....

it will "technically" void the warranty, according to Giant. Many, many riders are running 30.8, and many of the frames will accept 30.9 as well.

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
yep agree with rideit. I have a NRS and Im running a 30.9 x 410mm thomson on my giant. It fits like a glove.Correct me if im wrong but I think giant recomends running the seatpost with a shim but if you do run it w/o the shim then it needs to be at least 5 in in length.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Word from Giant Warranty dept...

rideit said:
it will "technically" void the warranty, according to Giant. Many, many riders are running 30.8, and many of the frames will accept 30.9 as well.
...is that as long as the replacement post has 150mm (6") of insertion, the warranty will remain in effect without the shim.

I, too, used a 30.9 post (Raceface XY) and it fit like a glove.

·
thats my red stapler
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rideit said:
Why will it void the warranty? and Where does it say that it will void the warranty? and are we talking ellsworth here or something else? LOL

the explaination came as i was typing ...thanks But where does it say it? or is this in the unwritten "fine print"

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
In the spec...

jimjo said:
Where does it say that it will void the warranty?
The bike comes with a 27.2 post and is spec'd with a 27.2. That should be enough to satisfy all but the most curious, who come here (or email Giant) and ask "why"?

Kinda like asking "Where does it say I have to use 135mm dropout spacing?" or "Where does it say I have to use a 6.5x1.5" shock?" or "Where does it say the post has to extend to below the TT junction?"

Not to jump on you, but the more we ignore the stuff that can be described as "common sense", "the obvious", or "accepted facts", the more dependant we become on legalese, disclaimers, waivers, and unnecessary restrictions.

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Maybe my explaination for the 30.8 question deal helps somewhat in the Giant forum. Not for you of course.

I agree 100% with your reply. We have enough already of all that in this world. No need for one more.:)

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
5,933 Posts
precisely why I parenthesized "technically".

I did that on purpose. The 30.8 warranty issue was by word of mouth, from Giant warranty employees to myself (I am a Giant dealer), and not written in any tome that I have perused. Giant's warranty program is excellent, and just, to my experience, and as such, when an employee told me his take on the 30.8 issue (granted, this was 02' when I heard this), I believe his word. I have no reason not to, unlike some other warranty verbal inferences. I hope that this helps.

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
I run a 30.8 on my AC and I cannot lower the post as far as I could with the original, shimmed post. I had to cut the 30.8 post down to get it to lower to a reasonable height for steeps, and now I am riding the edge of being able to run the post high enough for climbs while keeping a safe amount of post in the tube. I would not recommend changing to a 30.8 post on an AC, although I don't know how that would translate over to a NRS. Keep the shim.
Bill

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
I'd caution anyone using a shim...

...to continue to observe minimum insertion requirements.

The AC definitely has thicker tubing than the NRS, and also has the benefit of the beefed up seat tube/top tube junction, but I'd still strive to maintain 4" of insertion in order to distribute the load of the rider's weight over the entire length of the shim.

I don't know what Giant's official word is on the AC, but on the NRS using a 27.2 post and the 100mm (4") shim, a 4" minimum seatpost insertion requirement existed.

Perhaps a telescoping post is the correct answer for the AC. I'd be curious to hear [email protected]'s comments on this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts