Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Formerly NattyBoh74...
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know on 4x4 trucks, when they do competition racing they cut out block of rubber ( tread ) from the tire so make it more open so it wont pack that much. can you do this to mountainbike tires or is the tire too thin and doesnt have enough belts in the rubber. i was thinking about doing this to my tamashi tires ( i got the set for only ten ) but i want to see how they perform before i start hacking. and what would you use to cut the tires? a dremel? xacto knife? razor blade? thanks

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
Sure MBA mag had an article on it a few months ago. Use nippers or electricians dikes instead of knives to prevent miss-cuts, both are available in your tool box or local hardware store.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
cut down the side knobs

I've cut down the side knobs some on fat 2.6" tires to gain frame clearance with no issue but this doesn't really address your Question other than I see no issue doing so.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
mroneeyedboh said:
i know on 4x4 trucks, when they do competition racing they cut out block of rubber ( tread ) from the tire so make it more open so it wont pack that much. can you do this to mountainbike tires or is the tire too thin and doesnt have enough belts in the rubber. i was thinking about doing this to my tamashi tires ( i got the set for only ten ) but i want to see how they perform before i start hacking. and what would you use to cut the tires? a dremel? xacto knife? razor blade? thanks
There are no "belts" in tread rubber. You can trim the tread blocks any way you like. Avoid cutting into the base rubber. I prefer side cutters or a sharp utility knife depending on the mod I am doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.