Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to shorten the travel on a ks lev dropper post? I can't lower the post enough to have the max height of the post be in the perfect spot for pedaling. I need to lower it just a bit, as my legs are stretched too far. I also thought about trimming the seat tube down on the frame a little, but it's a carbon frame and not sure if that's possible. Anybody know of a solution?? Thx!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. No luck yet. I've just been living with it. I'm considering shortening the seat tube on my frame, but not sure if it can go lower internally. There might be a way to put a spacer on the post internally to keep it from going as high, but I haven't taken it apart yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yeah i'm thinking it would need to be done by a pro ( spacer installation). but i wouldn't do the frame cutting.
i'm going to email KS to ask them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. Post up what you find out. Thx!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up tying a wire from the seat post clamp bolt to the seat rail to limit how much it can go up. It's kinda ghetto, but works!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Resurrecting this thread - My wife's got some short legs, and her KS dropper is about 15 mm too tall...

Can you post a photo on the wire trick? That might just make her dropper useable.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a sketch:

It's been working great for me. It will take a few tries to set the height right. But once it's set, I haven't messed with it.

Reactions: Markiel

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the great sketch! This is how I envisioned the hack.

What kind of wire are you using?

I have some extra LEV wire from trimming the cable, maybe that would work with a couple of small wire clamps...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just used some thin 16 gauge speaker wire I had lying around. I used figure 8 knots so I could untie to adjust the length. The wire also stretched a little so you might need to adjust it again after a few rides. Since the post is spring loaded, it will stretch out all of the slack in whatever you do, so I would start with it slightly lower than you want it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Speaker wire - that's a great idea, the sheathing would help deal with moisture and protect the contact points from wear.

I'll give it a try. Thanks .

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome! Good luck!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I set up this trick with some speaker wire, and it's working great. My wife now has a working dropper!

She was also very impressed with the sketch!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Glad it's working well!

·
Registered
683 Posts
The wire idea is so ghetto but glad it works. I have friend that opened up the internals and was able to reduce the travel on his LEV. He told me the procedure during a ride and it sounded rather complex and totally not for the amateur. Oh ya he has full access to machine shop tools so not a garage hack job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts