81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

2019 Felt Doctine frame build
Full xtr with xx1 cassette/cranks 11s.
Fox 100mm sc factory fork
19#’s

XC racered out 2016 TreK Fuel 120mm EX 9.9 full xtr with sram xo1 carbon crankset, Kovee pro 30, Fox Factory all around.
Cane Creek slamset headset
22.5#’s

·
All fat, all the time.
9,359 Posts
Did my last race on this frame, it's been quite a reliable prototype of what I wanted over the past 4 years and will go to a tall friend. Yesterday was very muddy and this photo was after I drove home through a thunderstorm. Still picking mud out of my eyes today... but I cleaned a muddy technical climb as good as anyone that had many guys walking, which felt great.

The old Formula R1 brake pads completely wore out, which isn't surprising, but besides sounding like a freight train, they braked just as well. I did get some brake drag on the rear for the last couple of laps. I'm preparing myself to be disappointed with modern brakes like the SRAM Guide Ultimate, since I can't get the R1s in the USA anymore.

The Syncros Hixon bars at 800mm feel great. Colorado trails seem ready for them, but the 770mm Enve M9s I raced prior fit a little better through tighter trails with less stress.

The AXS XX1 shifted amazingly through the nastiness. The lockout managed to stay working, which was a relief. Rocket Rons continue to be a choice mud tire.

View attachment 1939609

View attachment 1939608
Wow that's a lot of seatpost and low bars.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,821 Posts
70mm, and it’s an integrated carbon bar-stem, Keith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The picture makes it look long. Looking at it I though “wow, I haven’t seen a bike that stretched out in years”. Must have been the angle.

·
Formerly of Kent
12,517 Posts
So what kind of impact do the berd spokes have on ride quality? Do they help mute the harshness of carbon rims, or is more of a weight thing?
Best way I can describe it is taking 10psi out of your fork or shock, or 3psi out of your tires. They seem to just soak up the tiny little impacts better than steel spokes. But, none of the drawbacks of an underpressured fork or tires; no vague steering, no dive, no rim strikes, etc.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Best way I can describe it is taking 10psi out of your fork or shock, or 3psi out of your tires. They seem to just soak up the tiny little impacts better than steel spokes. But, none of the drawbacks of an underpressured fork or tires. And, there's none of the drawbacks; no vague steering, no rim strikes, etc.
Sounds delightful.

·
Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
4,014 Posts
Best way I can describe it is taking 10psi out of your fork or shock, or 3psi out of your tires. They seem to just soak up the tiny little impacts better than steel spokes. But, none of the drawbacks of an underpressured fork or tires; no vague steering, no dive, no rim strikes, etc.
That's the feeling I get from CushCore XC, but the spokes are quite a bit lighter :)

81 - 87 of 87 Posts