Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

Registered
That model wasn't brought into the UK at all for 2016. Only the 1x versions were available here.

I had to import mine from Italy!
Dang!

When I decided on that bike, it was one of three left in inventory in the US, so I'm happy I snagged it!

Registered
My size Large Ibis DV9. Weight is around 22.5 lbs with relatively heavy carbon wheels and CushCore XC tire inserts front/rear. I'm still using Shimano XTR M9000 drivetrain components, because it shifts better and is lighter than the 9100 series parts I've worked on. Fork is a 2017 Fox Step Cast 32, 85psi, 3 volume spacers, HSC 2 clicks from fully closed.

I'd like to make some upgrades to get the bike under 21lbs, but I recently added a Tallboy V3 to my garage that will take priority as I get it into Downieville AM race trim.
View attachment 1938057
Rekon/Aspen FTW! What size are they?

Registered
Rekon/Aspen FTW! What size are they?
By far my favorite combo! They're 2.25" front and rear. Whenever I've tried tires larger than 2.3", I've felt like I need to be more precise with my steering, and get bounced sideways off roots and rocks I normally fit between.

Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
Pic from when I first built it this spring.

Need to grab a pic of it in 'finished mode'. Soon.
That front ring!
Those stem spacers!

Always liked the SlingShot concept back in the day.
Will never ride one as I know it'll never live up to my expectations :)

This place needs an enema
That front ring!
Those stem spacers!

Front ring is apropos for our local trails.

Stem spacers are apropos for those of us that rode stretched and slammed, long distances, for over a decade. Fast forward 15 years and I have a prosthetic disc in my neck, irreparable nerve damage in both hands, and no desire to make any of it worse.

Not looking in particular at anyone in this thread, but, um...

...this could end up being you.

(Minus the badass SlingShot, of course... )

Armature speller
Unit, Anthem, Stumpy, Secteur
Front ring is apropos for our local trails.

Stem spacers are apropos for those of us that rode stretched and slammed, long distances, for over a decade. Fast forward 15 years and I have a prosthetic disc in my neck, irreparable nerve damage in both hands, and no desire to make any of it worse.

Not looking in particular at anyone in this thread, but, um...

...this could end up being you.

(Minus the badass SlingShot, of course... )
My first "race" bike was a home brew triathlon bike in the early 90's with a cut and welded seatpost to get me further forward, a cut and welded quill stem to get me lower, my elbows touched together on the tri-bar pads and my back was horizontal. Grip-shifts up the front of the triangular tri-bars. I even had a modified motorbike tinted visor velcroed to the helmet for more aero.
It hurts just thinking about it now.

Registered
Pic from when I first built it this spring.

Need to grab a pic of it in 'finished mode'. Soon.

View attachment 1938787
I was looking at that picture and wondering how it could be an old 1990s slingshot frame, only with 29鈥 wheels, a rear disc brake and a thru axle.

The build page about how it was put together explained it!

Looks good.:)

chasing simplicity
They are Light Bicycle Recon Pro with DT Swiss 180s. 25mm iw. Sapim cx ray spokes.

Got them right when all the DT Swiss Exp stuff started and immediately replaced the floating ratchet and freehub, courtesy of DT Swiss.

This place needs an enema
Sorry but that鈥檚 not safe from an engineering point of view. I bet that is way beyond the fork mfg spec of stack allowed. Great if you have not had issues with it, but I value my teeth and would not ride that.
You fancy yourself an engineer, eh?

I used to think it鈥檇 be cool to drive trains, too.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts