Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not a racer, but I do like to push myself to "go fast" and go long distances. XC trails are about all I have, but I have a LOT of them, so this bike is perfect.

2021 Specialized Epic HT Comp

Upgrades or additions:
Nobl TR32 wheelset
i9 1/1 hubs
Vitoria Mezcal 2.35" front and rear
Deity Lockjaw Grips
OneUp Composite flat pedals
Spurcycle Compact Bell.

It's at 23.6lbs right now. I have some long term upgrades planned, but I'm spreading that out over a couple years.

This bike is fast and SO MUCH FUN.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

2020 Supercaliber (AXS), Duke carbon rims, Berd spokes, DT 180 hubs
2019 Orbea Oiz TR (AXS), EIE carbon rims, I9 torch hubs, sapim cx Ray spokes, Darimo bar, intend stem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very nice...but, if I may ask, why two FS and not FS/HT? Is the SuperC that efficient...or just wanted two FS? Also...is the Oiz about the same weight as the SC (or lighter)? Just curious.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Very nice...but, if I may ask, why two FS and not FS/HT? Is the SuperC that efficient...or just wanted two FS? Also...is the Oiz about the same weight as the SC (or lighter)? Just curious.
They are similar in weight. I had a super light Scott hardtail, but I find I’m faster with FS and I wasn’t riding the hardtail enough. So I sold it and built the SC.

I thought I would sell the Orbea when I built the SC, but I find I like the Orbea with 120/120 travel for certain trails. The SC is super efficient and has quick handling. The SC is just over 21lbs. The Orbea is 22lbs.

Both fun bikes and I spent a lot of time on component selection....so hard to part with either.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
They are similar in weight. I had a super light Scott hardtail, but I find I’m faster with FS and I wasn’t riding the hardtail enough. So I sold it and built the SC.

I thought I would sell the Orbea when I built the SC, but I find I like the Orbea with 120/120 travel for certain trails. The SC is super efficient and has quick handling. The SC is just over 21lbs. The Orbea is 22lbs.

Both fun bikes and I spent a lot of time on component selection....so hard to part with either.

Thanks...that all makes sense to me...fast and fun! Enjoy!

·
XCdude
1,321 Posts
My 8, XTR components, Shimano pro 1 bars and post, Si crank and ring(34) stans I have magura MT8 race line not yet installed. I really like how it rides, not as nimble as my 27.5 but I'm getting use to it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
If our local weekly series ever returns to the regular time and location, I’ll be racing this:

‘19 Sniper XC, built with XX1, 32 Stepcast, carbon KS dropper, e13 CXC wheels, XTR brakes, etc. Sub-25 lbs for an XL, which I’m pretty happy with.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts

This is the first year I'll have two mountain bikes! First is my trusty Superfly hardtail. After 6 years of abuse the frame cracked and Trek hooked me up with a new frame. GX build, Stans wheels, carbon cockpit and seatpost. It's my very mellow course and gravel rig at this point. Last year I picked up a Santa Cruz Blur Trail S. I was very excited to find a good deal on an in stock bike last year. It's a GX build with a 34 Stepcast. I put an ENVE cockpit, Fox transfer and Bontrager DropLock lever on it. It's a bit heavy but it's still faster and more comfortable than the hardtail over the terrain I prefer.

·
Registered
42 Posts

2020 Supercaliber Highlights:
SRAM Eagle AXS
Quarq
SID SL
Fox Transfer Factory
Kovee XXX
Tires - Currently Renegade/Fast Trak S-Works
As picture: 22.0 pounds

Trailcraft Pineridge 24 (9yr olds)
Shimano XT 11
Stans Crest
Rocket Rons (tubeless)

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,213 Posts
Here is my 2022 race bike. I don't plan on racing this year. I built this bike on late 2019 to race the 2020 season, but COVID-19 hit us and everything went south. There are a couple of schedules races here, but everything seems too chaotic to even consider showing up. Build as follows:

BMC Fourstroke FS 01 RAD Size Large
Fox Float 32 SC 100mm
No Tubes Stan's Crest CB7 rims with DT Swiss 240 EXP hubs and Sapim Alloy nipples
Vittoria Mezcal XC Race Graphene 2.0 29 x 2.25
Magura MT8 Race SL
Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow
Enve M5 Bar 760mm
Ritchey WCS 80mm -17deg stem
Magura Storm SL rotors 160mm
SRAM XG-1295 cassette
SRAM X01 Shifter
SRAM X01 Rear Derailleur
SRAM GXP BB
SRAM X01 GXP Crankset with 36t X-Sync 2 SL ring
Stages Power Meter
Eggbeater 11 pedals
Elite Canibal bottle cage
ESI Super Chunky Grips:
SRAM X01 12 speed chain:
1C12A22F-F145-4E35-B977-F7738E0A864A_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here is my semi-plus tire XC bike

2018 Framed Bobtrax Carbon frame
Pub Carbon 28mm rims
Maxxis Rekon 29 x 2.6 front
Maxxis Ikon 29 x 2.35 rear
SRAM SX drivetrain
Absolute Black 34t oval
Amazon carbon bars 710mm
Amazon carbon seatpost
ESI grips
Specialized Romin Evo saddle
Shimano MD 520 pedals
SRAM Level brakes

under 25 lbs with pedals, Garmin w/mount, cadence, and speed sensors.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts