Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about running my nevegals with the tread reversed for better climbing. Has any one heard or tried this? what would the disadvantage of trying this.? Im thinking maybe your tires tread will leave quicker and less break power. Thoughts?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
you should have no problem with this..... you might find a bit less braking "grip" in high speed situations but this should be barely noticable. The grip advantage will highly out weigh the loss in braking force! GO FOR IT!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ae111black said:
you should have no problem with this..... you might find a bit less braking "grip" in high speed situations but this should be barely noticable. The grip advantage will highly out weigh the loss in braking force! GO FOR IT!!
But wouldn't this prematurely wear the tread? And would it be good for me to reverse the tread in both my front and back?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've had my bike and Nevegals for about 3 mths and have run them reversed for about a month. It is definitely better for climbing and I've seen no difference in downhill riding. (NOT downhill racing, just riding).

I've noticed no difference in braking. I've run it on dry dusty, hardpack; stony, rocky ground (mostly hill trails here, sharp rocks).

Sometimes it's slipped on uphills and has regripped quickly but when it has really broken loose on uphills/rock steps it's gone.
I haven't run it in mud yet.

It's worth a shot.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Why would you want to incur the wrath of the tire police? Everyone knows that reversing a recommended tire direction is just asking for trouble...big trouble.

"But wouldn't this prematurely wear the tread?" Is that like saying masturbation gives you fewer erections?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Why would you want to incur the wrath of the tire police? Everyone knows that reversing a recommended tire direction is just asking for trouble...big trouble.

"But wouldn't this prematurely wear the tread?" Is that like saying masturbation gives you fewer erections?[/QUOTE
I mean I was told that it wares down the tread to much and I was wondering if any one has experience with this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I acutely looked at kendas web site and they said kendas are designed to run forward and climbing is just a good normal direction and they for every reason are designed to roll best with the normal direction

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
six foot sloth said:
well I already sealed them up and every thing. But you suggest that I only reverse the rear. Why not the front?
For the front you want the ramped end of the center block pointing forward. Gives you better rolling resistance and better braking. In the rear you want the ramped end facing rearward for better climbing traction. Most of your braking should be done in the front so it wont hurt braking as much as it will help climbing.

I run Nevegals and Panaracer Rampages this way.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I acutely looked at kendas web site and they said kendas are designed to run forward and climbing is just a good normal direction and they for every reason are designed to roll best with the normal direction

·
Ride the dream
1,381 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
Nonono - the tire police would tell you to get a tire without ramps (or atleast something with enough grip) in the first place! :thumbsup:
If you need more grip, get something with more grip. If you need something without ramps in the drive direction, get something without ramps.

You should not have to reverse a tire and compromise its braking grip when you could just get something that has enough drive traction in the first place.

Yes, your braking should be primarily done with the front (so dont reverse the front), so reversing the back shouldnt hurt so much (if you're just using the rear brake to initiate slides then it might even be beneficial to reverse the rear), but it still seems like a compromise that should not be neccessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.