Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone put a 1.5 fork on a scalpel, replacing the lefty? Will any 1.5 work, or do you have to implement all sorts of witchcraft, grinding, and custom headset parts to make it work......

·
Registered
26 Posts
tpcolson said:
Has anyone put a 1.5 fork on a scalpel, replacing the lefty? Will any 1.5 work, or do you have to implement all sorts of witchcraft, grinding, and custom headset parts to make it work......
As far as I know, the only option here is to use a headset reducer and use a fork with a standard 1 1/8 steerer. I believe these are available from Cane Creek.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Is your new fork 1.5 or 1 1/8, standard forks are 1 1/8, if you have a 1 1/8 fork then you would need a reducer headset, Cane Creek makes one called Double Xc, which will allow you to have a 1 1/8 fork on a 1.5 frame. FSA also make one called Orbitz Z.

If you have a 1.5 fork and you want to put it on your Cannondale I think you just need a 1.5 headset, again Cane Creek makes one called Double X, and FSA has an opition called the Big Fat Pig.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You can, but there is no need.

tpcolson said:
THe only 1.5 forks are for freeride/dh use. THe scalpel is a XC bike, built around a 100mm fork.

As far as the headtube goes, it may be possible, because the headtube is the same size as the rest of the bikes. THe Headtube is not built for the stress iof the longer forks, however.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.