Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read somewhere that after time (how much?) V brakes will wear on your rims.

I have V brakes and was wondering if I kept the rims clean (i.e. using a scotch-brite pad as I've read here before) would this help at all?

·
Registered
335 Posts
yes keeping them clean and using softer brake pads will help them last longer...unless you ride in mud alot your rims will last a very long time...the one that last the longest are ceramic coated but you need special pads with those.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
noonievut said:
I've read somewhere that after time (how much?) V brakes will wear on your rims.

I have V brakes and was wondering if I kept the rims clean (i.e. using a scotch-brite pad as I've read here before) would this help at all?
Any times 2 things rub together, eventually they'll wear. It's all a matter of time. How long is pretty hard to predict since it depends on the hardness of your pads, your riding conditions, and how well you keep them maintained.

Guess what, using a scotch brite pad is wearing them too. Don't worry about it though. Most likely you'll break or wear out your wheels in other manners long before your pads wear them.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
noonievut said:

Never use your brakes.

Before I switched to discs I wore out a rear rim every 1-1.5 years and front every 2-3.5 years. YMMV

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
shiggy??? said:
Never use your brakes.

Before I switched to discs I wore out a rear rim every 1-1.5 years and front every 2-3.5 years. YMMV
That's kinda subjective. How many miles per year and is that dry or muddy conditions?

Curious as to why you wore out your rear rim more frequently than the front one.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
tlg said:
That's kinda subjective. How many miles per year and is that dry or muddy conditions?

Curious as to why you wore out your rear rim more frequently than the front one.
Miles: unknown

Dry and muddy conditions, lots of hills.

The rear wears quicker, pads and rim, totally normal. While most of the braking power is on the front, the rear brake is "on" more of the time and not as hard. Rim pads wear at about the same rate, i.e 2 sets of rear to one set front. It has been more even with disc pads, about 3 sets of rear to 2 sets front. Have yet to wear out a rotor in 3.5 years of disc use.

I have not worn out a road rim sidewall but the brakes are not used nearly as much on the road.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
tlg said:
Any times 2 things rub together, eventually they'll wear. It's all a matter of time. How long is pretty hard to predict since it depends on the hardness of your pads, your riding conditions, and how well you keep them maintained.

Guess what, using a scotch brite pad is wearing them too. Don't worry about it though. Most likely you'll break or wear out your wheels in other manners long before your pads wear them.
In 21 years of mtbing I have gone through many, many rims (at least 25). I can think of only 4 that failed that were not because of brake wear and two of those were disc wheels. Yes I ride year-round and it gets muddy here.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
noonievut said:

Using ceramic rims helps alot for wear and tear. I rode with my ceramic rims for 3 years and they still work great but the front one is showing alot of wear. I used normal rims before that I wouldve had to replace them every year or 2 depending on if I rode in the mud or not.

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
It's one of those unfortunate things in MTBiking, noonievut I doubt you'll be willing to spend hundreds of dollars to minimise rim wear.
Unlike disc brakes, rims are a shite load more expensive to replace than rotors. Cost of rim and rebuild labour costs (unless you build your own wheels).

Ceramic rims do last longer than 'normal' rims, so the only advice I can give is to try a set of good brake pads from people like Koolstop or Swissstop (if you're willing to splash out more).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I read somewhere that the orange compund koolstop uses is for "cleaning," and it's what they use in their dual compound pads... so it may help somewhat.

Ceramic rims are amazing. Contrary to popular belief, ceramic specific pads will actually wear out your rims more quickly. Particularly those damned shimano XTR ceramic pads. Those things are so hard they can actually be broken in half in your hand.

Regular black rubber pads will burn up the first time or two, but they will then fill in the texture of the rim, and they will start to stop even better.

Lastly, never. ever. EVER. Never clean off those rims. There will be a surface residue of rubber and ceramic powder that will help that rim perform very very well for you. Once it's cleaned off, you'll be revealing a polished rim that will never brake as good as it did. I learned this the hard way, but it's true. And the ceramic surface can't really be resurfaced. I tried everything... even a cutting wheel on a dremel tool. Nothing would rough em up. Ceramic is HARD.

My personal rim of choice was the mavic D521 ceramic, and they've gotten comparatively cheap if you know where to look, since people are clearing them out as "old stock."

·
Registered
70 Posts
By the way... buying a cheap truing stand (or making one from an old rigid fork) is a worthwhile investment. If you know, or can learn how to true your own wheels, you can learn to build your own wheels. It's intimidating at first, but start with a radial front wheel, or something equally similar. If you're really burning up rims, it'll save you a lot of money on wheelbuilding. And it'll enable you to better appreciate some of the deals that can be found on ebay once in a while. I've built or rebuilt several for myself, and saved a bunch of money by doing it myself. Enough that the truing stand paid for itself (buy on ebay) and then some.

·
Registered
571 Posts
So far, been on my wheels for 2 years and no problems. Ride about 1-4 times a week on average for the past two years in dry SoCal. I never wipe of the pad residue, keep that on.

Zero mud riding here. The only mud I encounter is when someone leaves the lawn sprinkler on...

·
Registered
847 Posts
Shimano's ceramic pads are hard

but they wear fast. I went through the last set in 600-700 miles of dry singletrack riding. I get more miles out of the Koolstops. The ceramic pads work better for me.

My Sun ceramic rims are on their 3rd season and have little wear. I haven't tried the Mavic ceramics.

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
uber-stupid said:
I read somewhere that the orange compund koolstop uses is for "cleaning," and it's what they use in their dual compound pads... so it may help somewhat.

Lastly, never. ever. EVER. Never clean off those rims. There will be a surface residue of rubber and ceramic powder that will help that rim perform very very well for you. Once it's cleaned off, you'll be revealing a polished rim that will never brake as good as it did. I learned this the hard way, but it's true. And the ceramic surface can't really be resurfaced. I tried everything... even a cutting wheel on a dremel tool. Nothing would rough em up. Ceramic is HARD.

The pads are advertised as "Rim Friendly", but who do you believe?
Koolstop pads are bloody awesome IMHO.
I run the Salmon (orange) compound up front and All-Conditions (yellow) at the rear because the pads that came with the cartridge system sucked anywhere that isn't dry asphalt (ala useless in mud).

·
Registered
298 Posts
jonowee said:

The pads are advertised as "Rim Friendly", but who do you believe?
Koolstop pads are bloody awesome IMHO.
I run the Salmon (orange) compound up front and All-Conditions (yellow) at the rear because the pads that came with the cartridge system sucked anywhere that isn't dry asphalt (ala useless in mud).
According to Sheldon Brown the salmon pads are the shiznit:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html
I'm going to order some.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts