Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if a Session could be a good all around bike? I currently have a Remedy and would like the benefits of a dh rig on the faster stuff. Can you pedal it around on varied terrain for a couple of hours - East coast type riding with hills, rocks and roots. Thanks.

·
Locs on Spokez
1,905 Posts
Most of the time when a bike has pedals on it you can pedal it pretty much anywhere

I can climb on my Legend. Is it good at climbing? **** no. Does it pedal uphill? Yah.

·
brake later, pedal sooner
813 Posts
Don't lie Iggz, you know it can't pedal uphill. The bike has a bank angle sensor and a pedal rev limiter that only lets you pedal down hills. If it senses you pedaling up hill, it locks the brakes automatically and you have to carry or push it up.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a friend who rides one with a Hammerschmidt and Totem Solo Air as his only mountain bike. I don't think he rides real long XC on it, but it seems to pedal great. I think the Hammerschmidt probably makes it pedal even better due to the smaller chainring.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You should buy a totem with the same tapered headtube and then swap out when you feel the need for a fr bike geometry. A second set of wheels with 2 ply tires aka (minions) and you would be set. Granted a new bike is always welcome in any garage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was thinking the Scratch wouldn't be much of a change since I have the 09 Remedy. There's an inch more travel and a bit slacker geometry, but I figured that wouldn't be that noticeable. I'm sure a Session wouldn't be that fun to pedal uphill, but I thought the benefit of its downhill abilities would make up for that, especially if I do a light build on it with a dual ring setup.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Ive done 30km plus XC races at my local MTB club on my old XL 07 Kona Stinky with 66 RC3's and no granny, yea it was a pig and i did a hike a bike on some of the uphill's, but holy crap, blasting past the carbon XC bikes at 4 billion miles an hour on the DH more than made up for it.

The session might not be the best climber, but it can be done, it'll just make you fitter...

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Sure. Up on the hill, on the street corner, down at the swap meet. Peddle it where ever you want. Hope you get a good price for it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
350 Posts
having both of those bikes, i say up on the session sucks. get a scratch if you're looking for a do-it-all ride. angles on the session will put you way too far back to do any sustained climbing. could you ride your carbon xc race bike on some serious DH trail? yes, but why would you want to? :confused:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You also have to consider the duration of the climbs and descents and how tight the terrain is going to be. If you have a 30 minute or longer climb on your remedy, the same climb will be longer and slower on a session not to mention more painful. If you have a short descent then or one that requires slow speed turns and techy sections like New England is known for then you might want a bike that is easier to navigate around on and maneuver, ie- not a dh bike.

So in short, yeah if you have the will to climb on a dh bike you can do it. Will it be an enjoyable experience in any way? No. All that suspension travel is designed to work well when mowing down objects at speed not climbing up. All the extra weight is for a durable build and stability at speed. I dunno man, its your waste of money. But if 90% of the riding you do is xc/am stuff then a dh bike will be a bit overkill to say the least. If one bike is your plan and you get a dh bike for xc riding you will probably get burned out quickly on the sport.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't believe there is any way to put a front derailleur on a Session so if you want 2 gears you have to run a Hammerschmidt.

Are you keeping the Remedy? If so buy a Session and you will love it. Hammerschmidt if you need to climb. Two wheelsets and a light build will make it versatile, but no XC animal, unless you ride with people on heavy bikes. If you will sell the Remedy, I would go Scratch with 170-180mm fork, and two wheel sets, as well as both an air and coil shock. For a while I did this with my Reign X and it was outstanding. 7" travel bikes are very fun until you ride full on DH.

·
Registered
72 Posts
phatfreeheeler said:
7" travel bikes are very fun until you ride full on DH.
I agree. I have an Uzzi VP "one bike" 150mm rear, Totem coil front, 36 lbs and once I hit a full on DH track, I was still left wanting more. A Totem is not full on DH fork.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to build another bike. Do not get a Scratch. If anything, build up the Session with a Boxxer WC, with ZTR flows and get it under 35 pounds.

Then you'll be able to get a few of them on the climb.

Jared Fisher, owner of 'Escape" bike tours, rides a full on Ellsworth DH rig with Monster T forks everywhere. The dude is an animal, and if you have the stones, the Session will be exactly what you're looking for.

·
In Armor We Trust
259 Posts
If you're keeping the Remedy, then it makes more sense to add another bike to the stable that is a bit different. Go for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts