Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Big Boned
1,535 Posts
Here's what you do with that "bike." Find yourself a life preserver -- doesn't matter if it's a life vest or just one of those rings off the railing on a sailboat. Or it could just be a big styrofoam sheet. Whatever you use, make sure it's got enough floatation to hold, say, 50-odd pounds, which is what that "bike" probably weighs.

Then, find yourself a lake or other large, deep body of water. Build a big ramp, and position it near the water so that if you were to jump off it, you'd land in at least 8 feet of water.

Secure the life preserver to the handlebars of that unfortunate machine with which you've been cursed. Then back up from the ramp a couple hundred yards. Pedal your arse off in the direction of the ramp. Hit the jump as fast as you can. Bust a stylee tabletop, tail whip, backflip, or what have you, but be sure to push the "bike" away before you hit the water so you don't smack into it upon impact.

Collect your (hopefully floating thanks to the life preserver) "bike," return to land. Repeat. And repeat and repeat and repeat, until the "bike" is so rusted or corroded that it can no longer be pedaled.

Once the "bike" has been rendered completely inoperable, go and get yourself a gallon of gasoline and a few dozen packs of jumping jacks...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ericmopar said:
You won't be able to sell that thing. I'd keep it for runs to the store or give it to some poor kid on the street.
Best option!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Plus Zochi Bomber stickers on the fork and Maxxis stickers on tires :p

·
President, CEO of Earth
1,001 Posts
I can't tell if the read derailleur is a Shimano product... but if it isn't then the only Shimano part on the bike is the chainstay protector. :p

·
Registered
122 Posts
Some Martian must have emptied his/her trashcan here on earth and u got it! See ufo's do exist, only kiddin, here in South Africa we have a similar looking "er" bike made by Raleigh called the M-trax.,

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Why is everyone piling on?

I didn't think he was out of line for asking about a bike's value. What's the least-expensive bike that someone should be able to inquire about without being insulted?

That bike is probably worth $25-100 and the Genny Light branding might add to the value, but these branded items seem to become more valuable after 20 or 30 years have passed. Hopefully, it'll find its way to someone who needs it to get around or you can find a kid who would really appreciate it. And who doesn't surf here...

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
D.F.L. said:

I didn't think he was out of line for asking about a bike's value. What's the least-expensive bike that someone should be able to inquire about without being insulted?

That bike is probably worth $25-100 and the Genny Light branding might add to the value, but these branded items seem to become more valuable after 20 or 30 years have passed. Hopefully, it'll find its way to someone who needs it to get around or you can find a kid who would really appreciate it. And who doesn't surf here...

I really thought that people were taking it easy. This post is borderline against MTBR policy, but due to the post count on this guy, I doubt that he bothered to look into the guidelines before posting.

Honestly I hate seeing bikes like this. When they break down (which is inevitably they will) turn people away from biking. The funniest thing is that this knock off "mountian bike" was a promotional item for a knock off beer.

I say give it to goodwill or a neighbor.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
D.F.L. said:

My problem with most of the responses is that the guy just asked a simple question. He doesn't know much about bikes and just wanted to get an idea as to the value. Its not like he said look at this awesome bike I got free or that he is like AllKnowing who posts stuff like this to annoy people.

But bashing makes people feel superior and they can all feel so good about themselves and their $4000 bikes.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, his nick is FreeBike and he still has one post. So I think actually this could be a joke or maybe just a thread to amuse people, as he is really doing :p

And if I'm wrong... why not just take it easy?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Gauss said:
I think actually this could be a joke or maybe just a thread to amuse people, as he is really doing :p

And if I'm wrong... why not just take it easy?
I would feel a bit discouraged if my first post got the response there is now. Not sure I'd want to post again.

·
(not that fast)
954 Posts
perttime said:
I would feel a bit discouraged if my first post got the response there is now. Not sure I'd want to post again.
hate to point this out but I am pretty sure that the guy is not into biking. He is trying to get rid of the bike. Nothing about his post led me to believe that he is interested in single track. He is wondering how much he can get for the bike and in an insensitive way the good posters at MTBR told him that he will embarrass himself if he goes into the sale with the idea that this is some high quality/performance bike.

Hope we didn't scare him away from the sport, but I kind of doubt we had much of an influence.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is a NEXT....my neighbor tried to give me one that he had in is back yard holding up part of his fence. He never stored in doors or used it...I was not sure if my tetnus shots were up to date so I declined. It is a steel frame and ways 45-50 lbs. It has a shimano SIS rear derailer and thats it.....I did how ever loan him my wheel barrow to carry it to the curb...it was so rusted that he could not even push it..He also tried to donate it but was turned down due to the rust factor.

Rust never sleeps

21 - 36 of 36 Posts