Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My girlfriend won this bike at a bar raffle however, due to a heart condition, will be unable to get much use out of it. So she'd like to sell it ... but we don't know what to advertise it as. It's been re-branded by the Rock Green Light beer company, and has no identifying model tags. All we know is it's made by Shimano. I'd contact the manufacturer directly, but after going to their website they seem to only operate through dealers, not with the public, no contact info.

Can anyone here help tell us what bike this is and give a general guess as to it's value? Thanks.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I didn't realize that Rolling Rock breweries branched out to bikes! It's a cheesy contraption that vaguely resembles a MTB.

·
well mannered lout
3,031 Posts
I especially like the zero off-set /no rake/ welded crown suspension fork and quill stem combo. Best thing to do with a bike like that...tie a rope to it, tie the other end of the rope to your boat. When you get to were the fish are biting you can throw the bike into the water to keep the boat from moving. I'd just give it to a neighborhood kid.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,159 Posts
Looks like Wally World Model # 1P.O.S

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Shimano does not manufacture bikes, so it is not made by Shimano. Shimano makes bike parts, which is why you will see the name Shimano pasted all over it. Shimano is a well known brand so cheap bikes will often emphaize that they have Shimano components, even though bikes like this one have the lowest end Shimano parts which are of low quality. It is made in China according to the sticker on the head tube. To my knowledge no quality bike is made in China. I would put its value at no more than $150, although it really isn't worth anything to someone who wants to ride offroad.

·
good trails please
40 Posts
I'd guess it's a Walmart Special, the tag on it spouting some version of "Durable, lightweight aluminum frame and factory racing suspension tuned to handle the most rugged terrain. $74.98" Put it on CL with the price at "$50 OBO" and see what you can get.

·
Crunchatize me Capn'
2,897 Posts
It's a NEXT branded bike. They do sell at Wal-Mart for around $100. See if you can get $50 for it.

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
18,537 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
It's a cheesy contraption that vaguely resembles a MTB.
Just like their brewed product is a cheesy liquid that vaguely resembles beer. :thumbsup:

fp

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
MOJO K said:
I especially like the zero off-set /no rake/ welded crown suspension fork
Whatcha talking 'bout willis?!

There's offset in that fork crown.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
jabpn said:
It's a NEXT branded bike. They do sell at Wal-Mart for around $100. See if you can get $50 for it.
Yup...that bizzare frame design gives it away. It must weigh about 50 lbs. Good for a few laps around the cul-de-sac.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Psycho Mike said:
BSO (bike shaped object)
I do not recall hearing that one before :D

Anyway, the guys here have appraised the bike pretty accurately, whatever the attitudes.

It has wheels, drivetrain and brakes ... so it should be possible to ride it. It will not do anything well and it is not worth much, though. :mad:

·
Registered
654 Posts
Holy sh*t thats a heavy spring. A 750! But I guess thats what you get with 2 inches of travel (wal-mart travel)

·
I live to bike
2,396 Posts
ljsmith said:
Shimano does not manufacture bikes, so it is not made by Shimano. Shimano makes bike parts, which is why you will see the name Shimano pasted all over it. Shimano is a well known brand so cheap bikes will often emphaize that they have Shimano components, even though bikes like this one have the lowest end Shimano parts which are of low quality. It is made in China according to the sticker on the head tube. To my knowledge no quality bike is made in China. I would put its value at no more than $150, although it really isn't worth anything to someone who wants to ride offroad.
mostly right. except that there are, in fact, quality bikes made in China. However, this one is not one of the quality bikes. It is a Next or a Pacific.

I'd say since you got it for free, give it away for free. New, the bike retails in the $100-$150 range, so the most you could expect to sell it for is probably $75 to someone who doesn't know any better. (Quality full suspension bikes start around $800 and go up from there.)

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
750 Ibs isn't very heavy for a shock spring either. When your shock lacks an excessive amount of low-speed compression damping (aka a pedal platform circuit) you need a stronger spring to keep the thing from bobbing excessively. Not to mention they build these bikes to be used by fat arses who rarely ever ride a bike, therefore they spring them higher for larger beer guts.

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
You won't be able to sell that thing. I'd keep it for runs to the store or give it to some poor kid on the street.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts