Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of wheels that i absolutely love. got them from dave @ speeddream wheels.

i noticed yesterday that somehow i had 3 decent sized dents in the rim. i had a blowout and i wonder if that did it (air pressure can't dent a rim, can it?), or if i dropped the wheel while it was flat on something (doubt it because they are at different spots on the wheel), or just plain hammered the rim on my last ride.

i used a hammer last night to get it back in shape for a ride so the tire would stay on and it worked fine. however, when i brake, it grabs really bad when i pass those spots and the wheel is out of true.

can this be fixed by a LBS or should i return it to the wheelmaker for a new rim?

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
dewthedru said:
I have a pair of wheels that i absolutely love. got them from dave @ speeddream wheels.

i noticed yesterday that somehow i had 3 decent sized dents in the rim. i had a blowout and i wonder if that did it (air pressure can't dent a rim, can it?), or if i dropped the wheel while it was flat on something (doubt it because they are at different spots on the wheel), or just plain hammered the rim on my last ride.

i used a hammer last night to get it back in shape for a ride so the tire would stay on and it worked fine. however, when i brake, it grabs really bad when i pass those spots and the wheel is out of true.

can this be fixed by a LBS or should i return it to the wheelmaker for a new rim?
You did what you could to try to straighten it out. Sounds like new rim time.

You could buy the rim and learn to rebuild it yourself. Use tape to hold the rim right next to the old rim and one by one move the spokes from one rim to the other. Barely start each nipple until all are swapped then tighten with even number of turns until the wheel begins to firm up. You can use your bike frame to true the rim as you tighten further. It takes many hours the first time but is very satisfying to learn to master the wheel build. Or take it for truing to a bike shop for about $10.

If you use rim brakes, air can cause the rim to warp, right before it blows out suddenly from wearing out too thin. If you notice the rim bulging, lower the air pressure in the tire as much as possible, ride very slowly and carefully without using that rim to brake, back to the trail head, and replace it. It will fail if you continue to ride within minutes (or less) of bulging from wear.

- ray

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
derby said:
You did what you could to try to straighten it out. Sounds like new rim time.

You could buy the rim and learn to rebuild it yourself. Use tape to hold the rim right next to the old rim and one by one move the spokes from one rim to the other. Barely start each nipple until all are swapped then tighten with even number of turns until the wheel begins to firm up. You can use your bike frame to true the rim as you tighten further. It takes many hours the first time but is very satisfying to learn to master the wheel build. Or take it for truing to a bike shop for about $10.

If you use rim brakes, air can cause the rim to warp, right before it blows out suddenly from wearing out too thin. If you notice the rim bulging, lower the air pressure in the tire as much as possible, ride very slowly and carefully without using that rim to brake, back to the trail head, and replace it. It will fail if you continue to ride within minutes (or less) of bulging from wear.

- ray
thanks but i'm a bit leery of doing that. esp when i have such a great wrench at the LBS and of course the original builder of the wheel.

·
-> SickLines.com <-
3,196 Posts
I'd definitly recommend getting a new rim as well. It sounds like you have a good amount of people that you can get the work done properly. Properly tensioned/dished wheels make your ride/race not only safer but more fun. Having the right tools to lace a wheel properly makes for alot better build that spins without hops and will last you alot longer.

Ft. Custer is a sweet fast trail! I like pontiac lake and highland better though, have you ridden either?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.