Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know the disappointment when you get something via the classifieds/EBay/whatever ... and it arrives and there's no mount bolts included! That's what I've got now, a set of disc brakes with no caliper or rotor mount bolts.

Does anyone know if you can find this type of hardware at Home Depot or Lowe's? I'll go to the LBS, but I'd rather not because they know I don't buy stuff from them and its always kinda "uncomfortable" there because of that.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Suicyco said:
You know the disappointment when you get something via the classifieds/EBay/whatever ... and it arrives and there's no mount bolts included! That's what I've got now, a set of disc brakes with no caliper or rotor mount bolts.

Does anyone know if you can find this type of hardware at Home Depot or Lowe's? I'll go to the LBS, but I'd rather not because they know I don't buy stuff from them and its always kinda "uncomfortable" there because of that.
Yes you can. I'm not sure what lenght and diameter and thread are those but yes, you can find them.

All fasteners are created equal. Find out which ones are the correct ones and you can get them at any hardware store.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Yes you can. I'm not sure what lenght and diameter and thread are those but yes, you can find them.

All fasteners are created equal. Find out which ones are the correct ones and you can get them at any hardware store.
Not really. Home Depot doesn't carry much in the way of fasteners (Bolts / Hex Screws). Especially in metric or stainless or titanium. All fasteners are not created equal.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
tlg said:
Not really. Home Depot doesn't carry much in the way of fasteners (Bolts / Hex Screws). Especially in metric or stainless or titanium. All fasteners are not created equal.
Do you really need Ti bolts??? Not even SS. My Maguras and Avids use "black" bolts. I'd be more worried for the grade (Gr.5, 8, etc.)

Maybe Home Depot won't have them but any other hardware store can. I even found some bearings for my main pivot. Those items don't have to be bought at your LBS or thru a bike dealer.

With the statement of "all bolts are created equal" I was referring to the fact that for your bolt to be used on your bike, it doesn't have to be "bike specific". It just need to be the same grade and dimensions.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
Warp2003 said:
With the statement of "all bolts are created equal" I was referring to the fact that for your bolt to be used on your bike, it doesn't have to be "bike specific". It just need to be the same grade and dimensions.
You had me worried for a minute, WARP. ;) Your original statement had my hackles raised too.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for buying caliper mounting bolts, be very careful on the length if you are running a Manitou fork that requires a post mount adaptor. If you go too short, you may find yourself looking for a new set of lower fork legs. Not usually a problem getting those at Home Depot though.

If you could get the rotor mounting bolts at the LBS though that might be better, especially if you go to sell them you will have the right stuff to go woth them as they are usually a Torx head fastener.

I would also recommend using a torque wrench for both types of fasteners. Those and any crank bolts are a couple of areas I am pretty set on using the t/w.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Check out your local motorcycle shop...

This is where I buy a lot of necessary bolts etc. and the selection is usually pretty awesome if you have one locally. Motorcycle fasteners are pretty similar to bicycles and they usually carry every length, style, and size you can think of but you kind of have to know what to request. The last time I installed new disk brakes, the caliper bolts were too short so I stopped by the shop and they have everything in 5mm increments. I could have spent hours in there.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Suicyco said:

Home Depot has some selection, but Ace Hardware (if you have them in your area) seems to be the best choice for me. My local stores have always had something comparable to a bolt that was missing or needed to be replaced on my bike.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
jeffj said:
You had me worried for a minute, WARP. ;) Your original statement had my hackles raised too.
Sorry if I introduced some confusion. My apologies.

But some bike stuff is so overhyped. There are lots of parts (mainly hardware) which is non-bike specific that marketing make us believe it is. Fork Oil, Springs, fasteners, bearings, even bushings, all of them are items that meet Industry Standards NOT created for bikes but used on them.

As Prime mentioned, a motorcycle or even an Auto-Zone ytpe of store can be sometimes more helpful than your LBS... but you gotta know what you're after.

I replced the bearings on my Warp recently. Bearings 11 bucks. Hardware to make a "press" 2 miserable dollars. If I would have went to the LBS for the stuff it would have been some much more for just the bearings, just because they're "Giant" brand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.