Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
GrooveNinja said:
Has anyone custom painted their Santa Cruz carbon bike (Blur's/Nomad) yet? If so, who did it for you?
I was wondering about this too. I plan to ride mine for a long time so thought it might be worth doing. I bet it completely voids the warranty unless you paint over the old paint... I can't seem them being OK with sanding a carbon frame.

·
Got A Lust for Life...
2,968 Posts
Yes, you can. Yes it voids the warranty. But after two years you get crash replacement anyway. I doubt they would turn you down for crash replacement just because it is painted.

·
Registered
324 Posts
from the ibiscycles site

Got this from the ibiscycles site:

11. Where can I get my Mojo Carbon/Mojo SL/Tranny/Silk/Hakkalugi repainted?
You can’t powdercoat a carbon frame, as the powder needs high temperatures to activate and cure the powdercoat. So you need to wet paint the frames (like they are done in the factory). You also cannot sandblast the frames, they need to be wet sanded for repaint.

It’s a tricky process, but these guys have painted a few of our prototypes and are reasonably priced and do a nice job:

http://www.joesbicyclepainting.com/

And these guys have been around forever and have an excellent rep:

http://www.cyclart.com/newindex.html

I just placed an order for a Ibis Hakkalugi in "black lung"color however was really close to
ordering the cool "Phlegmish yellow" color. Perhaps, I'll have my XCc painted in the Phlegm color...

·
Trail Junkie
2,210 Posts
I know this isn't relevent, but I found this on Road Bike review....Carbon can be painted, and you can give it the Krylon touch and it come out nice...This is a China bike, ebay special...some SC Fan!! :p

Attachments

·
Ride Good or Eat Wood
606 Posts
enr1co said:
I just placed an order for a Ibis Hakkalugi in "black lung"color however was really close to ordering the cool "Phlegmish yellow" color. Perhaps, I'll have my XCc painted in the Phlegm color...
I hope SC take note of these colour choices...... I'd be onto that! Perhaps they should add pooh brown, pus green, to their range. I could image them offering the nomad carbon in a shade of diarrhea..... what a winner!!:D

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Red PeeKay said:
I hope SC take note of these colour choices...... I'd be onto that! Perhaps they should add pooh brown, pus green, to their range. I could image them offering the nomad carbon in a shade of diarrhea..... what a winner!!:D
I once said something like that to a bicycle company owner.... He was not impressed :lol:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Red PeeKay said:

Baby food colors are always winners!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts