Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not a C.K. head set it's Shimano, so are you saying that a 1" threadless headset will fit the head tube set up for a 1" threaded headset, so I can install a rigid MTB fork with a 1" steerer tube.
What I'm trying to do is to convert one of the old bikes I have laying around to a fully rigid, which it already is. When I first started riding and there were no threadless headsets, it seemed that every bump or wreak it twisted the stem. Never had that problem with the threadless sets, the trails I wanted to use this bike on in Western N.C. have some serious bumps and humps.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I've actually seen it done a few times. The most obvious time was the USPS bikes in the early 2000's were using Ultegra headsets (because they came in 1.125") with a custom top race to make them threadless (before they started using Chris Kings). I saw this example at Interbike 2000

The other time was when I was wrenching in Seattle, a customer came in with a Colnago he purchased in Italy with full Shimano (Sacrilege!) including a 1" Dura Ace headset with a custom carbon top race to make it threadless.

So I know it can be done...is it worth it when you can get a 1" threadless headset for under $20...probably not

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
make sure your tolorances are very tight...I actually tried this on a free XT headset I got and the headset was still a little loose. King uses a o-ring for this, I used a thin layer of tape on the steerer that worked...but the time it took made just putting a new headset on a better option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.