Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard stories about parents who hook up their tv's to an exercise bicycle so that the only way their kids can watch tv is to pedal a bike that creates power.

I don't know if this is just one of those stories you hear or if it is really true. I don't have kids, but I would love one for myself. Imagine how fit this country would be if people had to pedal a bike anytime they wanted to watch tv! With all the fat kids sitting around playing video games eating pop tarts, I think someone should definitely make one.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
How about this idea?

Let's just get the kids out from in front of the TV, regardless of the power supply. How about buying them bicycles and taking them out for family rides a couple times a week? WAIT!!! A better idea!!!! If every kid had a bike, maybe they could ride them together!!! Maybe kids could actually make friends as they're out there pedalling around the neighborhood or in the park. Maybe, just maybe they'd actually like it and go out for a bike ride in the afternoon without being told "NO TV TODAY! GO OUT AND RIDE YOUR BIKE!" Maybe, just maybe, they'd get exercise and have fun doing just that, without being parked in front of the boob tube.

Maybe it's the parents (myself included) who set the bad examples, and park their @ss in front of a TV or PC rather than getting out to do some physical activity. My guess would be that the people who post to this site who are parents probably have children that ride bikes too. They probably also watch TV and play video games, but I would guess like everything else, everything in moderation.

Sorry for raining on your parade, your idea makes sense, but I think it's possibly misplaced.

Just my opinion.

Clyde

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
nhmtns said:
I've heard stories about parents who hook up their tv's to an exercise bicycle so that the only way their kids can watch tv is to pedal a bike that creates power.
Creating enough power from a bike would be difficult for a kid.

The average "in-shape" adult human male can produce about 250 watts (1/3rd horsepower) continuously. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle
TV's use 50 watts and up. Do a web search on "TV bicycle generator"

Something easier would be a small generator (like one from a bicycle light) to power an on/off relay which controls the TV.

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Let's just get the kids out from in front of the TV, regardless of the power supply.
Maybe it's the parents (myself included) who set the bad examples,
You must be crazy! Parent's be responsible for their kids? :eek:

When our kids started getting too interested in TV we had a solution. They now get 2 days a week to watch TV (and that's limited to 1-2hrs a day). It doesn't include family shows we watch together or movie rentals.

It was a real difficult concept to come up with.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I feel very fortunate that my 5 year old daughter would rather play on the swing-set, kick a soccer ball around, play chase or go for a hike ANY DAY before watching TV.

Biking is conspicuously not on this list. I tried to change that, but now I'm waiting for it to be HER decision. She is very interested in MY bike, but is not willing to ride hers without training wheels. (We live way out in the country, and there is no safe paved place to ride, and training wheels in grass does not work well....). She's very strong willed, and I'm 100% sure she'll come to me one day and ask for the training wheels to come off. It will be a great day in my life and hers, and I'm just waiting, as forcing the issue does not work.

We are already talking about the camping/biking trips we can take together....

Kids will be kids and should love to go out and play. Assuming they are healthy, if they prefer to watch TV, it is probably something they learned from M&D...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blah blah blah

My question was whether or not one can buy a product like this. You took the opportunity to express your feelings about children and society and television. Great.

That being said, I'll ask again. Does anyone know if a product like this is available to purchase?

·
Linoleum Knife
3,323 Posts
tlg said:
You must be crazy! Parent's be responsible for their kids? :eek:

When our kids started getting too interested in TV we had a solution. They now get 2 days a week to watch TV (and that's limited to 1-2hrs a day). It doesn't include family shows we watch together or movie rentals.

It was a real difficult concept to come up with.
My parents had a similar solution when we were kids. You got to pick 2hrs a week of shows you wanted to watch. With me & my brother, that was 4 hrs/week.

Of course back then (pre-cable) there was only about 4hrs/week worth watching. Now with cable there is even less.

They also never let us get atari / sega / nintendo... but we got trips to the library every week.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Oh puhlease....

nhmtns said:
My question was whether or not one can buy a product like this. You took the opportunity to express your feelings about children and society and television. Great.

That being said, I'll ask again. Does anyone know if a product like this is available to purchase?
Lighten up. Do the google search that was posted, there's your answer.

My apologies for hijacking your thread, but it screamed for a need to address the situation. Now we can all get back to our lives and put our children in front of the stationary bicycle powered television.

Clyde

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
Nevermind just a TV, you need to power a playstation2 or other game system as well. Maybe you have to pedal to power enough voltage to open the fridge or cookie jar. I am 33 and remember when this stagnant age started to happen. It all started with the nintendo IMHO. I remember going down to the field to play some backyard football one time. We were missing some guys. Where are they? Playing that friggen nintendo!!!
Anyway, I have never heard of a device which would power a TV by bike. If you find one, let me know. Sounds interesting.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's probably just a cheap manual generator? Maybe have it power the cable box or X-box, etc. (tv might be a bit much).

It started before Nintendo. Remember Atari? (if you're old enough). Space Invaders, Pong, Asteroids???? That started the whole in-home video game thing.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
yeah, I remember the atari 2600-5200-7800, but I feel that it started with nintendo because the gameplay was better. I had a 2600 and I only played it when it was crappy outside. Nintendo seemed to keep alot of people in the house all day, even on nice days.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.