Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change over to grips from my current X9 triggers. I'm enjoying the X9s, but am looking for a little weight savings, and just thought I'd give the grips a try. I know many people praise grips, especially for the front b/c you can trim the derailler and I agree. But while reading through a different forum, someone brought this up. Imagine this scenario..."you're racing and flying down this hill. You approach some wooded single track and slam on your brakes. While braking you want to shift to prepare to accelerate out of the turn. However, since changing from X9 trigger thumb-thumb action to grips, you can't take your hand off the lever to grab the grip shifter." Any thoughts on this? It seemed valid to me, but some said it takes practice to do it. I just can't see how you could grab the lever AND grab the grip shifter and change like with triggers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've been riding for 10 years and can't ever recall a time when I -needed- to brake & shift at the same time.

That said, I don't see why you can't with the twist shifters. It's not like it takes a major wrist motion to change gears. Just grab the brake lever with your fingers, hook your thumb around the grip shifter and move you hand slightly in whatever direction you need to change gears.

Keep in mind that for this to really be effective, you'd also need to be pedaling in order for the gears to actually change. So, you'd need to be shifting, braking and pedaling at the same time, while trying to navigate a turn on a course you don't know. :)

I just moved to twist shifters recently. I've used Rapidfire, Dual Control and SRAM triggers before moving to twist shift. They all have their positives and negatives. I don't think either is going make any difference in how fast you are.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The answer to your question is NO. A grip shift is actuated with your index finger and thumb, braking simultaneously is impossible unless you use your middle finger to do it, and even then the action of grip shift is moving your entire hand away from the brake lever 50% of the time. This is the primary reason I like sram triggers so much. Not only do they outperform grip shift in this category, but they also dominate over Shimano since you have to downshift with your index finger on their rapid fire. With the SRAM triggers you NEVER have to take your index finger off the brake.

As far as WHEN you would have to brake and shift at the same time....steep downhill into immediate steep uphill. For me, it's all about leaving that index finger on the brake. The less your hands need to move around, the better.

·
SSasquatch
535 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
The answer to your question is NO. A grip shift is actuated with your index finger and thumb, braking simultaneously is impossible unless you use your middle finger to do it, and even then the action of grip shift is moving your entire hand away from the brake lever 50% of the time. This is the primary reason I like sram triggers so much. Not only do they outperform grip shift in this category, but they also dominate over Shimano since you have to downshift with your index finger on their rapid fire. With the SRAM triggers you NEVER have to take your index finger off the brake.

As far as WHEN you would have to brake and shift at the same time....steep downhill into immediate steep uphill. For me, it's all about leaving that index finger on the brake. The less your hands need to move around, the better.
It is definately not easy, but not impossible. I have been running grips for 3 years now and on one of the local trails there is a transition going from steep downhill to steep uphill where I have to dump my gears while braking. I think that Dusty is right in that it might not be possible for everyone, but I happen to have extremely large hands that allow me to both simultaneously, but it is a strange motion that involves putting pressure on the grip with the heel of my hand (not sure that is the correct term, but it is the meaty section of your palm at the base of the thumb) and rotating. I think that my very long fingers make it easier to keep in contact with the brake lever. It definately took me a while to master it, but it is doable.

·
"El Whatever"
18,874 Posts
Can be done very easily with Grip-shifters and rapid-rise (low-abnormal) derrailleurs.

I had a set of crappy Shimanos C-201 and it was easy cake. I use the front brake on the right (rear shifter) pod.

The same action that you use to squeeze your hand, pulls the lever (with the middle finger) and rotates the grip forwards (thumb/index action).

Easy but it never stuck.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I opened this thread as I am thinking of going the gripshift and am looking for all comments too. I can 'blip' the throttle of my motorbike, change down a gear and modulate the powerful front brakes at the same time when hanging off and entering certain turns on a race track, so I don't think this will be a big problem once familiar with the technique.

·
Registered
971 Posts
as gallywench said, it is do-able.

i find there are certain situations where i need to change down gears while braking through a corner. i find i can do it by wrapping my thumb around the shifter and just putting some weight down the back of it with that meaty part of the palm below the thumb referred to above. it is certainly easier with the tornado grips on x.0 shifters though as there is something for your palm to catch on and get leverage.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put the X.0 grips on and immediately noticed that I had to change my lever reach. Before, I liked the brake levers to go to about .75" and stop. I had them dialed in so they would do that. However, with the grip shifters, it seems like it's more natural for them to be further out from the bar. I haven't taken it on the trail yet, so have yet to really get a feel for the shifters. So far, seems fun to use grip shifters. First time ever. I really feel like I can rip through the gears...which is a good...and sometimes a bad thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.