Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to the 2-9 movement last year. Love it. No going back for me. I am currently riding a GT peace 9r multi (steel, full rigid). ZERO bling but I will stand by the fact that the bike rides great regardless of how cheap and heavy it is. I have ridden for twenty plus years so I have an idea of what I like and i like it. My problem is I sold my indy fab hard tail 26er and want to have both the full rigid and a hardtail with a shock at my disposal. I am looking for the best value in a new bike. I am not against used but it is kind of hit and miss and hards to score what you are after. My price range of $1000 to under $1500 pretty much keeps me with the off the shelf brands.

I went through a couple manufacture websites yesterday and keep coming back to two bike The fisher cobia for an MSRP around $1200 and on the performance site the GT Zaskar Elite for $1499. Three things in particular for me about these bikes 1. top tube length near 23.5" an absolute must for me) 2. stand over height just under 30" and 3. neither have a Dart fork. It just seems on the whole that the DART sucks and I don;t have a lot of interest in buying a bike with a dart on it.

So what am I missing? IS there something else, xc oriented, not more than $1500, that comes with any other shock than a dart?

·
Is dang happy!
1,379 Posts
If you like the G2 geometry the X-Caliber has the much lighter Fox/hydros and nicer wheels than the Cobia, a good value IMO. A dealer may let one go for around that price with cash in hand.

Rocky Mountain makes a nice 725 steel 29er with EBB/Fox/hydros in that price range also.

The Dart is a heavy and simple fork but not particularly sucky considering how much they cost.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah X cal would be great if I can score the deal

I am pretty interested in the G2 and I would definitely go for the x-cal if I could find the deal and a chance to sit on one. Found a local Fisher dealer and will probably check that out. I have not looked at the Rocky Mountain I will check that out.

I have just heard a lot of complaints about leakage and poor performance with the Dart. Just seems best to stay away from it. I am sure it functions and I would probably ride it and never think twice but like I said if i can avoid it I will.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Voodoo makes some fs frames in the sub $759 range that come w/ a rock shox monarch. Add a reba for $400, then you can switch bars/stem/fork/wheels/seat/post from bike to bike w/out too much hastle. Your other choice would be to purchase a good used 26" fs bike in that 600-700 range & build a 69er.

·
Registered
425 Posts
GT all the way!

Performance bike had the Zaskar for 20% a while back...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out a rig

The new version with the fox fork allows you to run single speed or geared with a different hanger so you could have a sweet single speed as well as a multi speed. Great way to add even more versatility to your arsenal.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did not catch the geared option on the website

kes12 said:
The new version with the fox fork allows you to run single speed or geared with a different hanger so you could have a sweet single speed as well as a multi speed. Great way to add even more versatility to your arsenal.
I will have to look again

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
kes12 said:
You'll need a new rear hub (wheel) and a different crankset to run a full complement of gears on the Rig. It's got a shorty SS cassette hub stock and the cranks don't have mounts for a granny.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
uhhh.... good points.

Nater said:
You'll need a new rear hub (wheel) and a different crankset to run a full complement of gears on the Rig. It's got a shorty SS cassette hub stock and the cranks don't have mounts for a granny.
\
That is a no go for me. Unless they swap all that out for free. I will be lucky to spend the upper end of my current range let alone paying for extras.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Ronnie said:
Holy cow!:crazy: That is a good deal, especially with that component spec. Have you ridden one? What are those frames like? Ronnie,
No shi+! You couldn't acquire all the parts for that price - Reba, J7s, XTR rear mech, etc. etc.

·
Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
630 Posts
I'd have to imagine you could build an On One Inbred with SLX and nice wheels for less than $1500 and you'd be able to spec what you wanted.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'd hop on the Monobecane 29pro for $1000 shipped, if you don't like the geometry or want a blinger frame, you can get a Soul Dillinger or Niner EMD for $400-500 more and you'll still be in budget with all those yummy parts.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Value?
How about a suspension fork with the same head set crown race that is on the bike now? Fork swap with disc brakes takes a couple of minutes max? 5 bolts to loosen/tighten and you are good to go...

G

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
G-Live said:
Value?
How about a suspension fork with the same head set crown race that is on the bike now? Fork swap with disc brakes takes a couple of minutes max? 5 bolts to loosen/tighten and you are good to go...

G
+1 This is what I have and I like it. A second crown race is cheap and the fork swap is easy every time. The only annoyance for me is putting a new zip tie on the brake cable every time; I could switch to a velcro strap but I haven't been switching forks much lately.

Besides not having to buy an entire second bike, the other plus is that you keep the same fit, same saddle, etc when you switch back and forth

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is worth the thought

boomn said:
+1 This is what I have and I like it. A second crown race is cheap and the fork swap is easy every time. The only annoyance for me is putting a new zip tie on the brake cable every time; I could switch to a velcro strap but I haven't been switching forks much lately.

Besides not having to buy an entire second bike, the other plus is that you keep the same fit, same saddle, etc when you switch back and forth
Would be more feasible money wise for me. The GT rigid fork is set up so that I would have to disconnect the cable each time making me set the brake up everytime

1 - 20 of 24 Posts