Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of not using them...and this summer having several crashes resulting in a busted knee and last weekend a busted knee and shin...I guess it's time to start wearing them. Especially with Dirt Rag WV coming up...I know some of the terrain will be gnarly.

My leg is 24" around 4" above the knee and my calf is 19". I did try on an XL G-Form at the shop and no way...it actually ripped a little when I was trying to pull it on. I don't feel like I need a hard shell. Just something that will give some cushion when I crush and bang my knees off the ground and prevent scraps and cuts.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Saw the 7 iDP's recommended a couple times. Check their site and it says measure 6" above the knee. I'm 26" there! And pads are listed as a max of 23". I'd be willing to try if the measurement was for 4" above the knee where I'm only 24" but a 3" difference i don't know if I want to risk it. Thoughts?

·
Like a BOSS
694 Posts
Yeah Nubster, I've been down this road as well. Off the top of my head I know my calves measure 18" and thighs were 25" but not sure how many inches above the knee I was when taking that measurement (looking at my fitness logs).

I've tried on a bunch of different brands. While the 7 iDP were a close fit for me, I returned them thinking they were just too tight and probably get uncomfortable after a long day, so I returned them. I ended up getting Race Face Indy Knee Guards for trail riding and they fit me perfectly. I wanted some sort of strap at the top to keep them from folding down on me and it seems to do the trick. I also picked up a pair of Race Face Ambush Knee and Elbow Guards for riding DH and while the knee guards are the same fit as the Indy, the elbow guards are definitely tight on my forearms and biceps, however they are the biggest that I could find. Give them a shot, just get them from a place that you're able to return them.

I'm not sure if I'll end up at Dirt Fest, but if so I'll msg you and we will meet up :thumbsup:

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I have a set of POC vpd XL pads i bought, assuming my old pair were XL. They're my fave pads after owning a bunch. My old pair were L, and XL fall off my knees. I got them for a good price; i'll ship you them for free and you can try them. From there you can send me some money or just send them back.

They've been rolling around in the back of my car for the last year and i'd like to see someone enjoying them. Send me a pm if you want.

Reactions: Nubster

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missed this post. I really appreciate the offer. I do have a pair of XXL Leatt 3DF HYBRID KNEE GUARDS being delivered tomorrow. If they don't work out I'll hit you up and take you up on your offer. Thanks again...that's super cool of you!

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Missed this post. I really appreciate the offer. I do have a pair of XXL Leatt 3DF HYBRID KNEE GUARDS being delivered tomorrow. If they don't work out I'll hit you up and take you up on your offer. Thanks again...that's super cool of you!
Totally! They'll lie around until i find a use for them. :)

I have an older pair of those leatts, in that size. They're also too big for me. They've survived probably 40-50 crashes and look fantastic, although the backing material is pretty worn out. They're a more aggro pad than the POCs. For my use i didn't need the hard shell below the knee. Never hit that area in a fall, so they didn't offer me anything to compensate for the extra warmth and bulk.

They're a really good pad and i liked them a lot.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...probably overkill for me too. I got them mostly for the double straps to hopefully ensure no slipping. But I did bust my shin a few weeks ago pretty good so maybe having pads that extend a little further down won't be a bad thing.

Soil Zombie Walking shoe Glove Boot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.