Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SSIGNA,

I read that thread before I posted. Both FxRob and Turtle got their DHX's PUSHED with the Race System. I was posting because I want to hear what they think. As of yet, there has been no review that I could find by them. I also wanted to hear from others that may have just gotten their shocks back.

Best,
M.

·
long standing member
3,099 Posts
SSINGA said:
Sorry - just trying to get Renny's instagator job.
And here I thought that Dirty Butt-toxin had taken over the Turner board completely with his inflammatory and hateful posting. :rolleyes: ;)

Back on topic, I too am interested in hearing additional opinions/reviews on the PUSH race DHX supercharger. Some of these guys may need to a get a few rides under their belt before they can post their impressions, though.

Patrick

Edit: I agree, comparisons to CCDB and/or Avy would be cool from those riders in the know.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Two words: It's awesome!!! :thumbsup:

Darren did a great job with the Race/Roost System. What I like about it is that it works right out of the box. No need to dial it in as it is already dialed for you. Well, I just had to slow the rebound down a bit and that was it. Traction is superb on loose, hardpack, rockgardens, off camber choppy turns...just a very well designed shock. Plus I like the fact that most of the research and development was done on the pack/rfx so it just works really well on it.

As others have posted, the pDHX Race System shines when you're going fast. I notice I can go faster through rock gardens and off camber turns. You basically have more control of the bike as the rear tracks the ground very well. Feels more like the rear hugs the ground, actually.

Overall, it's one sweet shock!!!

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:

Darren did a great job with the Race/Roost System. What I like about it is that it works right out of the box. No need to dial it in as it is already dialed for you. Well, I just had to slow the rebound down a bit and that was it. Traction is superb on loose, hardpack, rockgardens, off camber choppy turns...just a very well designed shock. Plus I like the fact that most of the research and development was done on the pack/rfx so it just works really well on it.

As others have posted, the pDHX Race System shines on when you're going fast. I notice I can go faster through rock gardens and off camber turns than before. You basically have more control of the bike as the rear tracks the ground very well. Feels more like the rear hugs the ground, actually.

Can you compare it to the CCDB

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
SSINGA said:
Sorry - just trying to get Renny's instagator job. Don't take it personally.:eek:
Don't give up trying to attain your goal young Jedi SSINGA; it takes years of being a bitter old asshat before you can become an instigator like myself.:thumbsup: :D

Push factory race system. Yea, it's still great. Fabulous. Love it. Buy one.

Edit: what scubapro said. It rocks. SHINES at speed! Megaexcellento!

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
SSINGA said:
Can you compare it to the CCDB
All I will say, for now, is that my DB is going to be my back-up shock. Don't get me wrong, the DB is a very good, well designed shock and I still think it is the best production shock on the market with great adjustability, if you know what your are doing. I just personally prefer the ride/feel of the pDHX-RS.

·
aka...appBLING72
1,036 Posts
SCUBAPRO said:

As others have posted, the pDHX Race System shines when you're going fast. I notice I can go faster through rock gardens and off camber turns. You basically have more control of the bike as the rear tracks the ground very well. Feels more like the rear hugs the ground, actually.

Scuba, can you give a comparison to the CCDB and the DHX race system. I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks man!

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
Ok, got my 1st ride in this morning with my race modded DHX from PUSH. First of all let me start off by saying this: Don't mess with the initial settings that Darren sends the shock to you with. I was used to running my stock DHX rebound only about 3-5 clicks in from full fast and Darren sent it to me 4 clicks out from full SLOW. Me being the dumbass knucklehead that I am I sped the rebound up a lot for my 1st downhill run and the shock felt pretty harsh....compression knob was about 15 clicks in. So for my next run I put the rebound knob back to where Darren had sent it to me and left the compression 15 clicks in again.

I had a steep somewhat technical climb first and some things I noticed were the rear of the Pack seemed "lighter" and where it used to feel like it got hung up on step ups over rocks the bike just seemed to float over them now. The rear seemed less active and also felt like it rode higher up in its travel.....maybe just my imagination, but the rear end just seemed to go over rocks/roots with less pedal effort and less drama.

Then I got to the trail Rock-it in Aliso (Darren's old stomping grounds), and that is where I began to see the shock was a different beast. You've heard it before but the rear tire just stays glued to the ground and the rear of the bike doesn't jump around and feel spikey. It feels much more stable and matches the 36 Vanilla up front beautifully. I then started experimenting with the compression knob a bit. I went in to about 25 clicks and things got pretty choppy and harsh for me. So I headed over to Lynx and set the compression knob in only 3 clicks and rebound still 4 out from full slow. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!!! Lynx has some severe braking bumps on it and the PUSH'd DHX soaked them up so well and so smoothly it was scary, I had so much speed going in one section I had to check myself for a second and regain some control. The faster you go the better the shock feels, plain and simple. The rebound circuit is obviously flowing a LOT more oil compared to stock based upon the rebound knob settings. I didn't have any chance to do any drops today but plan on doing some over the weekend to see how it handles those but so far I'm very very impressed, well worth the money :thumbsup:

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Yup, don't mess with the settings Darren gives you initially; get a few rides in and, if you want to fiddle with it after that, no more than two clicks of adjustment at a time. The compression adjuster is a magical adjuster, isn't it? This shock FLOWS oil.
Glad you like it so far Rob.:thumbsup:

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
I concur with everything FXRob said above. :thumbsup:

I too initially sped up the rebound which caused harshness. Shock actually feels "dead" and rebound is slow on pavement. But rebound speeds up when you hit bumps at speed. So don't mess with the rebound settings too much from where it is set from factory.

It's just a bit counterintuitive as I normally speed up rebound when I feel harshnes but it is not so with the pDHXrs, I actually had to slow the rebound down.

I ride the same trails as FXRob and it's actually amazing how the rear tracks the rocks on the rockgarden section of rock-it trail. I can carry more speed (while maintaining control) going into and through the rockgarden section with the pDHXrs than with any other shock I've used on the Pack.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Just to emphasise what Scubapro said; you guys who are getting pushed dhx's, the rebound will feel real slow in a parking lot test ride. Don't fock with the setting, just ride it. That is the way it is suppose to feel. Trust me on this. It won't feel like that out on the trail.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FXRob said:
Ok, got my 1st ride in this morning with my race modded DHX from PUSH. First of all let me start off by saying this: Don't mess with the initial settings that Darren sends the shock to you with. I was used to running my stock DHX rebound only about 3-5 clicks in from full fast and Darren sent it to me 4 clicks out from full SLOW. Me being the dumbass knucklehead that I am I sped the rebound up a lot for my 1st downhill run and the shock felt pretty harsh....compression knob was about 15 clicks in. So for my next run I put the rebound knob back to where Darren had sent it to me and left the compression 15 clicks in again.

I had a steep somewhat technical climb first and some things I noticed were the rear of the Pack seemed "lighter" and where it used to feel like it got hung up on step ups over rocks the bike just seemed to float over them now. The rear seemed less active and also felt like it rode higher up in its travel.....maybe just my imagination, but the rear end just seemed to go over rocks/roots with less pedal effort and less drama.

Then I got to the trail Rock-it in Aliso (Darren's old stomping grounds), and that is where I began to see the shock was a different beast. You've heard it before but the rear tire just stays glued to the ground and the rear of the bike doesn't jump around and feel spikey. It feels much more stable and matches the 36 Vanilla up front beautifully. I then started experimenting with the compression knob a bit. I went in to about 25 clicks and things got pretty choppy and harsh for me. So I headed over to Lynx and set the compression knob in only 3 clicks and rebound still 4 out from full slow. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!!! Lynx has some severe braking bumps on it and the PUSH'd DHX soaked them up so well and so smoothly it was scary, I had so much speed going in one section I had to check myself for a second and regain some control. The faster you go the better the shock feels, plain and simple. The rebound circuit is obviously flowing a LOT more oil compared to stock based upon the rebound knob settings. I didn't have any chance to do any drops today but plan on doing some over the weekend to see how it handles those but so far I'm very very impressed, well worth the money :thumbsup:
Good stuff! Thank you! I think I am sold.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Good stuff.....glad you guys are liking the kits. This development project took me a looooooong time, so I'm stoked to read/hear the feedback.

Anyway, if we had a really cool marketing department/person we'd have a really cool explanation of the Power-Trac feature and how it works. Because we don't you'll have to wait until I can get some things together. In a nutshell, Power-Trac is a complex rebound circuit that keeps the suspension stable under pedalling loads and handling, but than increases flow exponentially under bumps. Also, because it's frequency dependant, it allows the shock to react quicker to succesive bumps such as stutters or braking bumps, and slower for single impacts (or lower frequency) such as drops or hits.

This is why the shocks performance is so radically effected by changing the rebound adjuster. The more open you turn the rebound dial (counter-clockwise) the less Power-Trac feature the shock uses. When you close the rebound (clockwise) you increase the flow through the Power-Trac circuit increasing its sensitivity.

Whew!!!! Geek Out Already!

Darren

·
Registered
356 Posts
general question re: push mods....
so one of the parameters in tuning the DHX is the weight of the rider. what happens if you drop or gain ALOT of weight after you've pushed your DHX??? I'm guessing you need to send it in for a rebuild? is there a range of weight that the mods will work properly for? or is it as simple as swapping out the spring if need be?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.