Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
promoting the concept that a 29er HT= 26er FS... I have read far too many threads stating 29er HT feels like 26er FS....No it doesn't! It feels like a very smooth HT, but good or bad it doesn't feel like a FS.

.its just not the case. I have both HT and FS 29er and spent the last 15 years on a variety of 26er FS and HT's.

Bottom line a HT is a HT in either size wheels, yes the 29er Does roll over more stuff easier...but its still a HT.

rant complete....thx

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
depends what you mean by 'equal'. perhaps some of the posts you are referring to are actually just pointing out that for general XC riding, they find themselves using their 29er hardtails while their 26er 4 inch FS bike gathers dust. they are not saying the HT is 'equal' in the sense of 'feels identical', but they are saying that overall they prefer the 29er HT.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Well, I'm getting a ti 26er because:

Serotta Marketing said:
Descend Like Full Suspension, Climb Like a Hardtail

There is nothing quite as trustworthy, sturdy and enjoyable as high quality hardtail mountain bike, and Serotta offers the best Ti hard tail anywhere. With full custom geometry and a range of brake and fork options, TiMax is perfectly suited for the toughest climb, steepest descent and most challenging single track on either side of the Rockies.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I am now totally devistated. I have a FS 26" Kona, and I'm building my first 29er...a hardtail, because I thought that it would perform just like a FS 26". Anyone want to buy a frame?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,881 Posts
metelhead said:
promoting the concept that a 29er HT= 26er FS... I have read far too many threads stating 29er HT feels like 26er FS....No it doesn't! It feels like a very smooth HT, but good or bad it doesn't feel like a FS.

.its just not the case. I have both HT and FS 29er and spent the last 15 years on a variety of 26er FS and HT's.

Bottom line a HT is a HT in either size wheels, yes the 29er Does roll over more stuff easier...but its still a HT.

rant complete....thx
No problem, but I do feel a 29er HT is FASTER than a 3-4" 26 FS. The HT on the other hand does jarr the hell out of me, especially when I have it set up rigid. Being a 29er doesn't make up for suspension. On the other hand, due to how it doesn't scrub as much speed in rough terrain, turns, how the momentum keeps you going, and that it's still usually lighter than a 26" 3-4" XC FS bike, I find it easily faster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree, 29er hardtail does not equal 26"fs . Maybe it is better said this way. People who would only ride a 26" wheel in full suspension mode can get by comfortably on a 29er hardtail. Myself included. Absolutely not the same thing at all though.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Jayem said:
No problem, but I do feel a 29er HT is FASTER than a 3-4" 26 FS. The HT on the other hand does jarr the hell out of me, especially when I have it set up rigid. Being a 29er doesn't make up for suspension. On the other hand, due to how it doesn't scrub as much speed in rough terrain, turns, how the momentum keeps you going, and that it's still usually lighter than a 26" 3-4" XC FS bike, I find it easily faster.
Is it actually faster, or does it just feel faster? I think it all depends on the terrain and riding style. I can ride my hardtail at the edge of control and it certainly feels like I going fast, but I definitely cannot charge into the gnar gnar the same as I do on a FS bike.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
^^ Dude, that's a downhill bike. The short stem compliments the slack geometry needed when bombing trails on the north shore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Price

I started up this thread a few months back mainly because both the 26" FS and the 29er HT were in my price range. What I really wanted was a 29er FS, but I didn't think I could find one I could afford. The compromise was either a 26" FS or a 29er HT. I really liked the big wheels of the 29er, but also wanted the squish of the FS. :confused:

I think when we start seeing more 29er FS on the market at lower price points we will also see less threads comparing 26" FS to 29er HT.

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
sanjuro said:
I did actually call Serotta to ask them if I could ride Whistler or Plattekill with their bike.
Have you ever actually ridden a Serotta ti. bike? My Serotta ti. cyclocross bike is the smoothest rigid rear-end bike I've ever ridden. It's not a downhill bike but it's spooky smooth.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
el-cid said:
Have you ever actually ridden a Serotta ti. bike? My Serotta ti. cyclocross bike is the smoothest rigid rear-end bike I've ever ridden. It's not a downhill bike but it's spooky smooth.
You apparently have also drank the Koolaid.

A ti bike will be a lot more comfortable than an aluminum and have a better road feel than carbon, but a hardtail with a SID will not descend like a full suspension, especially if the words TOTEM or DHX COIL are attached to that full suspension bike.

When I ride my aluminum hardtail for longer than two hours, I noticed a higher level of fatigue than riding a ti bike for the same time.

BTW, I own two Seven ti bikes, so why I would want a piece of s*** like a Serotta?

·
In FTF We Trust
1,815 Posts
sanjuro said:
You apparently have also drank the Koolaid...BTW, I own two Seven ti bikes, so why I would want a piece of s*** like a Serotta?
Wow, way to act like a jacka$$, did someone run over your dog today? Your reading comprehension need improvement; I just said my Serotta rides smooth. I do know what a Totem rides like, I have a bike with one on it. Man, try some decaf and lighten up, Francis.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Testy testy. Can't take a joke?

One of my best friends worked on the Serotta production line. He wasn't a biker before he got the job, but he was an excellent craftsman with wood, and he worked his way up to fabricator. You might be riding one of his frames.

One thing I know is the cachet that customer frame owners place on their bikes, mostly to justify the cost.

I think my Sevens are wonderful frames, but I don't describe them with superlatives. They are my bikes and I ride them a lot and that's it.

But when you own a Seven, no one looks down on your bike and their owners do not suffer from frame inferiority. Capiche?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.